Talk

Advanced search

Twin pushchair

(21 Posts)
hopingforsleep Sat 18-Jul-15 19:52:41

I'm 20 weeks with DCDA twins and starting to think about pushchairs. I think I'd prefer a side by side but a bit worried by how crowded they might get as they get older in the Mountain Buggy Duet which otherwise I really like the look of. Does anyone have a StrollAir My Duo daisys-dream.co.uk/Stroll-Air-My-Duo seems to have very good reviews but basically a North American model and only seems to have this one retailer in the UK so I wouldn't be able to try one out before buying. Any other suggestions? My son really liked being rear facing until he was over a year so would really like this option.

tinkerbell7775 Sat 18-Jul-15 20:31:36

I have a bugaboo donkey which has mixed reviews really but I love it. It's easy to use and fold etc. but is quite big.

When I was looking for twin prams a lot of them weren't suitable from birth, but because this had carry cots and car seats attachments it did everything we needed.

jammiecat Sat 18-Jul-15 21:05:27

I would suggest you try before buying, some double buggies are like tanks to push, so heavy. And that's without any babies or toddlers in them! I have an out and about nipper 360 which I love. It's a side by side, very light to push and suitable from birth with a newborn insert. It is also one of the narrower ones and as it is no wider than a wheelchair there have not been many doors I've not been able to get through. I've not noticed a problem with crowding but my twins are only 15 months. Having said that my lazy 4 year old jumps in and looks happy enough in there so I suspect it won't be an issue. I'm afraid I don't have any experience of the second one you mention and I think the mountain buggy duet was one we dismissed as too heavy. But do go and try some for yourself. Good luck and congratulations, twins are amazing fun smile

littlesupersparks Sat 18-Jul-15 21:10:51

Bugaboo donkey is also wheelchair width. I can get through all standard doors with the carrycots. However, this isn't true when you have the car seats attached (I only use those for the school run though anyway). I love the side by side carrycots - it was my only stipulation for my pushchair. It is bulky to get into the car though.

littlesupersparks Sat 18-Jul-15 21:11:06

It is amazingly easy to push!

jammiecat Sat 18-Jul-15 21:36:21

The bugaboo is lovely, I had a single bugaboo but we couldn't afford the double unfortunately. The www of pushing the single is what made it for me important to have a lightweight pushchair again. Plus we wanted a side by side, partly as most twin parents I know who bought the other style ended up swapping for a side by side later on.

jammiecat Sat 18-Jul-15 21:39:59

Sorry that should say the ease of pushing not www!

Minisoksmakehardwork Sun 19-Jul-15 08:44:58

We went for a cosatto double. While I loved my single silver cross pram/pushchair the older two had used, I couldn't justify the cost of anything else so had to sacrifice the rear facing. It's an umbrella fold, suitable from birth. It fitted in the boot of the car without taking up all the room, came with foot muffs and raincover so no extra outlay, and I only had a problem with it in shops where they insisted on jam-packing everything in (whsmith and the works and particularly guilty with their policy of using floor space as well as their shelves).

It wasn't great for off road (across the grass at the park) though so I'd work out what you need a pushchair for and try loads out.

We struck lucky and got a second hand 3 wheeler for £20 off eBay. That was a godsend for going to the park and also for ploughing through snow and ice on wintry school run days.

neversleepagain Sun 19-Jul-15 09:21:50

I had an iCandy which I didn't like and got a Nipper when the twins were 16 months. I love it!

Tftpoo Sun 19-Jul-15 10:57:51

Another vote for the Donkey here. The carrycots are great, both babies slept very well in them. I wanted the option of parent or outward facing and i think the donkey is the only side by side that does this. It is quite heavy but very easy to push (unlike my maclaren twin techno which is also very heavy but not easy to push at all - a good shoulder workout though!). You do need a big boot space in the car though if you want to ge the donkey in with anything else.

hopingforsleep Sun 19-Jul-15 18:34:49

Thanks for all your replies, lots to think about!

2015isgoingtobeBIG Sun 19-Jul-15 20:49:39

I have the city mini jogger and love it. It is suitable from birth without any additional items (although we put in a head hugger that we also used in the car seats), it is light enough I can easily lift it into our boot and it is a dream to steer-I can do it one handed with a basket in the other when I go to sainsburys. The 360 was a close second for us when we were trying them but it is heavier. I'd really recommend trying them because not only was the duet heavy, wgen folded it is still enormous and we'd have needed an estate car boot to fit it in. I also discovered I'm hopeless steering anything too long so the city select was a disaster for me! Yes the jogger doesn't have them facing me nor can I put the car seats on it but I'm hoping it will last me until they are over three and in eleven weeks the need to transfer them from car seat to buggy hasn't been any inconvenience as I'm either then going to be out for alonger than they could stay in the car seat for or I'm going into somebody's house where they are getting taken out of the car seat anyway before w then go out in the buggy later. My best purchase.

arghhelpme Mon 20-Jul-15 20:57:31

I have a babyjogger city mini gt and I also have the stroll air my duo. Have had the stroll air for a few months. Wish i knew about it when I was pregnant with my twins who are 9 months. I had the carry cots for the city mini as I was desperate for a rear facing pushchair but couldn't stretch to a donkey.
Since buying the stroll air I have put the baby jogger away at the back of a cupboard.
Both of the pushchairs have huge hoods which I love. I'd say they are both about the same to push.
The seats do seem quite narrow on the my duo but they are a good length. I also find it a bit tricky to turn from parent facing to forward facing as the buttons are in a bit of an awkward position.
The basket on the my duo is huge and can easily fit my overflowing change bag plus other bits in it. Can't squeeze my change bag through the gap to get into the shopping basket on the bjcm so it is ok for smaller items.
You get raincovers, mosquito nets, apron covers and the belly bars with the my duo. I paid an extra 29 for a bjcm raincover and 34 for the bjcm belly bar, not something that is needed but handy for hanging toys onto.
I do think the bjcm is more robust but parent facing is something that is important to me.

lamprey42 Wed 22-Jul-15 21:13:37

We have a mountain buggy. From birth until about 11 months I had my twins in the double carrycot for it. Was nice for them to be snuggled together. Very easy to push and good off road.

Dioskouri Thu 23-Jul-15 19:18:23

lamprey42 - I don't think the double carrycot is available any more in the UK (which is a shame because we'd have liked one).

We also have the Mountain Buggy and it's ok, but I find the carrycots simultaneously really heavy and flimsy (our hoods have broken twice and been replaced). If we were buying a buggy again, I think we'd go for the BabyJogger City Mini.

OP, consider getting a single buggy too, and putting one twin in it while wearing the other one in a sling or carrier. That's what I do when I'm just popping out to the shops or something, and I feel much more mobile!

hopingforsleep Thu 23-Jul-15 19:54:00

Thanks for the advice, off to Kiddemore in Peterborough at the weekend to do some test driving. My ds will be 2.9 when they arrive so thinking the double plus sling will be best bet as he will occasionally get tired and want a ride, though will be getting a buggy board, maybe with a twoo seat as well

Tftpoo Thu 23-Jul-15 20:17:35

Hi hoping. Enjoy your trip to kiddicare but just a warning, they have massively reduced the amount of stock on offer at the shop there. I live in Peterborough and used to go there all the time but now it's better to order on line because they have a much bigger range on line than in the shop. I might be wrong as I haven't been there for pushchairs recently but I wouldn't want you to be disappointed. I also don't think they do bugaboo (or didn't when I bought mine) but if you're in or around Peterborough and want to test drive one, feel free to get in touch. Happy shopping!

hopingforsleep Thu 23-Jul-15 22:08:44

Thanks Tattoo, that's useful to know and thanks for the kind offer of a test drive

Alt83 Tue 04-Aug-15 17:16:23

Arghhelpme where did you get your stroll air from? I've found an on line stockist, but I would like to have a look/test drive!!

arghhelpme Tue 04-Aug-15 19:16:43

I got it from daisy's dream. Looked at a few videos on youtube as couldn't test drive it. If you're any where near Chelmsford you're welcome to come and try it out.

TiggersLikeToBounce Tue 04-Aug-15 19:54:08

I have a bumbleride indie, love it x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now