Talk

Advanced search

Strategies for settling twins at bedtime

(4 Posts)
tinkerbell7775 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:08:17

I have 14 month boy/girl twins who were born 3 months premature. As a result of reflux we've always fed them and cuddled them keeping them upright, to reduce the reflux. On their bedtime feed they generally fell asleep during their bottle and we would wind them and then put them in the cot and they'd sleep through.

However, over the last month or so it seems this routine has run its course, for them and us. Due to teething, colds, increased activity etc they are not settling after their bottle and we either cuddle them longer till they fall asleep or I take them to bed with me.

I'm just not sure how to go about getting them to settle themselves in their cot. Have I left it too late?

I've tried letting them cry and then going in and laying them back down with their comfort teddy but they just set each other off crying and get themselves all worked up.

I'm just not sure what to do for the best. Would welcome any advice? Am I just being a wuss?

Cheers

TwinsPlusAnotherTwo Wed 15-Jul-15 19:32:39

Sorry, no magic solution, I think they have probably grown out of the 'fall asleep on the bottle' stage. You probably need to build a new routine and sleep associations. Could you read them a story, give them their toys as you put them in cots, sing a song/play music? It might take a bit of time for them to get used to the new routine, although I think mine now just know it's bedtime by the time of day IYSWIM, so don't need the sleep associations.

My two are similar age, but I've always done bedtime on my own, so they've never gone down asleep and always had to self settle or be settled by me when they are in their cots, so I've not really had to change things.

When mine kick off I use white noise to calm them down and use gradual retreat - it can take half an hour to get out their room, but usually works.

Good luck.

tinkerbell7775 Thu 16-Jul-15 20:28:47

Thanks for your response. I've changed tac slightly last night and gone for a softer approach of staying in the room and just laying them back down when they get up. Eventually they got bored and just strokes their comfort teddy and fell asleep. There were a few tears but not as much or as frantic, so think I'll try that to start with and then start leaving the room once they've got used to that.

TwinsPlusAnotherTwo Fri 17-Jul-15 00:12:56

Glad you've found something that's working!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now