Talk

Advanced search

These babies never sleep.

(9 Posts)
Rootvegetables Mon 22-Jun-15 10:49:53

They are now nearly 11 months old. I'm exhausted and possibly going mad. Neither of them have ever slept through the night the least they've woken up is twice each but more often 3/4 times each so I'm woken sometimes upto ten times a night occasionally more, rarely less.
They are both breastfed, and good weights, one of them eats plenty of food the other is not so interested in eating but they both want milk as much as eachother particularly at night. They usually sleep for an hour in the morning 9.30 until 10.30 then have about 45mins after lunch around 2pm they need both sleeps as they seem grumpy and tired. They just don't seem settled properly at night always waking, they also don't grumble just wake up screaming, something they just don't do in the day as they are quite happy placid babies. Any ideas??

Rootvegetables Mon 22-Jun-15 10:51:23

Occasionally one of them will settle with a cuddle the other one always wants feeding.

ThatsWotSheSaid Mon 22-Jun-15 10:52:33

No ideas but could you pump and get a night off?

FreeButtonBee Mon 22-Jun-15 11:03:28

I feel your pain. I was very baby led and fed when they woke for the first 10 months but once they were eating a good amount of solids (did blw) I started to only feed every other wake up. Settling them however I could for the alternate wakes. Which meant that before midnight and after about 5.30 am DH could also help. I also stopped feeding to sleep at bedtime at this point. So fed in a bright room until really sleepy then transferred into cots and (tried to!) settle in cots with patting/gentle reassurance/popping in and out.

FreeButtonBee Mon 22-Jun-15 11:07:18

Also sound alike they probably need more daytime sleep. Either 2-2.5 hours after lunch or another 45 min catnap at 4-ish. I had to persist with resettling at lunchtime nap for. Quite a while (resorted to walking MILES at lunchtime, thankfully through the summer to get DS to sleep for a decent stretch. Eventually I could transfer this to a cot nap and get a proper daytime break.

Artandco Mon 22-Jun-15 13:12:20

At 11 months I wouldn't feed overnight.

Feed in living room before bed - so they don't associate bed with milk

Dreamfeed at 11pm if needed

Then no feeds overnight until after 6.30am. They can easily go 7 hrs overnight now almost one. They can be fed at much as you like during the day, and assuming on three solid meals also

Feed on demand in the day.

slightlyinsane Mon 22-Jun-15 22:52:07

If they are waking up screaming maybe have a look at what they are eating it could easily be something that's not agreeing with them. With mine it turned out to be dairy, soya and egg, eliminated all these and the night waking/screaming stopped

Twicethehugs Tue 23-Jun-15 10:17:10

My sympathies, mine were the same and it's tough. I slept with with them when needed as the only way I could get enough sleep. Just when we were going to do night weaning, they started sleeping through the night at around 18 months. It might be worth googling Dr Jay Gordon night weaning if you're looking for a way to continue breastfeeding but not at night.

Devora Tue 23-Jun-15 10:18:54

Others will have good advice; I just want to offer sympathy. I only had a single baby, but by 8 months I thought I was actually going to go mad. Sleep deprivation is a terrible thing. I really hope it improves for you soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now