Talk

Advanced search

Coping with toddler twins

(6 Posts)
Cheeka Tue 02-Jun-15 11:57:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Randomcafe Tue 02-Jun-15 21:03:53

My girls went through a similar phase of fighting over me and constantly with each other. It was horrible, but they are 3 and half now and get on brilliantly (most of the time...). Yours could very well be a phase that they grow out of too. "It's just a phase" is my mantra over many many things.

lamprey42 Sun 07-Jun-15 22:03:07

Can sympathise about the bolting! As to do this a lot with mine (console myself it's good cardio). Mine are now 2.5 and after some practice can usually walk by buggy without doing anything too lethal. I enforced a strict if you run off you get strapped in buggy rule. I also try to get them to hold buggy if possible. The first few times I tried were scary (once a kind old lady stopped to ask if I needed help as I sprinted after each in turn!). I found reins useless as they ran opposite ways or refused to walk. Maybe practice in park or somewhere enclosed. I also find fenced in playgrounds useful as they get to run free without too much worry. Good luck!

Blazing88 Sun 07-Jun-15 22:05:22

I don't have twins, but am watching with interest. I have a 2 yr old and a 15 month old, and have exactly the same problem going to the park on my own. Particularly as the 2 yr old refuses the pram altogether.

How do you cope taking them on slides etc?!

MiloCat Mon 08-Jun-15 20:33:58

Mine are 2.8 now and a little easier when out and about now. I have been (and still are!) very selective about which parks I take them to. I only go to fenced in playgrounds which aren't too big. Last summer, we tended to go to parks with other twin mums so we could look out for each other's on the slide/running in front of swings, keeping an eye on the exits etc.

We have a fantastic park a short drive away but I still don't take them there because although it's fenced off, the area is huge, there are several exits which are right by a boating lake.

Would getting a single stroller help? A few times I've put my DTS in one with my dtd on reins (she has been a total buggy refuser since before she was 2), which helped.

Hopefully the rest of it is just a phase.

Randomcafe Thu 11-Jun-15 21:27:35

Meant to also say before that I used kangaroo reins (I think that's what they are called). Like two retractable leads on a waist belt so you have both hands free but they could only walk up to about a metre away from me. Made things like getting out of car in a busy car park a bit less nerve wracking. Still got in a bit of a tangle sometimes when walking, but much easier to disentangle than hand held reins. Also, you can all keep the belts on then detach from/ reattach to each other quite quickly if need to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now