Working after having twins

(9 Posts)
RockerMummy184 Mon 11-May-15 12:53:18

This is something that DH and I have been discussing since we found out I was having twins and just wondered if anyone has any advice/wants to share their concerns?

I have 1 DS (2) and work full time. I had initially planned on going back to work once I'd had the twins and my maternity leave finished, but from a financial point of view I don't think I am going to be able to.

Having to pay full time childcare for 3 children will mean I am spending more than my salary each month on childminders, (if they were to go to a nursery it would be even more expensive).

I couldn't be a 100% SAHP as my sanity would suffer if I didn't get out and do something, and we couldn't manage on just 1 income, but I just can't see how I can go back to my current job. (There is no option of doing the same role but part time, as I work in finance and it would not be commercially viable for my company.)

I also don't think it is fair on the children for me to be leaving them for 45 hours a week, when there is no benefit to it from a financial/social point of view.

Anyone been in this position?

Nolim Mon 11-May-15 13:18:15

I havent been in that position but probably a nany is cheaper than 3 nursery fees?

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Tue 12-May-15 06:15:41

I am in a similar position, although I am fortunate enough to work part time (20 hours).
I am going to continue working as, like you said, my sanity will suffer. We will take a financial hit but I consider it an investment for my future employability.
Also-
1) My dd will be 3 and so will get 15 free hours at nursery. If the conservatives keep their promise, it should be more so essentially her childcare will be free.
2) Once my maternity pay goes down to statutory after 18 weeks, my employer has to keep paying my £243 a in childcare vouchers. This is not deducted from SMP bit is an additional payment. These can be banked for a latter date and as my dd will be on free hours by then, I will have about £2000 in the bank for childcare for the babies when I go back to work. This well help enormously for the first few months. After that, we will just be poor for a couple of years until they turn 3 and also have free hours.

Just wanted to mention all this in case any of it applies to you!

I work in academia so don't know anything about the financial world but is there any chance of compressed hours or flexible working? Or could you use your skills in a part time role in a different sector? Only if you definitely want to continue working that is...

fredabear Tue 12-May-15 06:20:47

Nanny worked for us, without factoring in the toddler still, cheaper than nursery/childminder and a lot easier to manage in the mornings and evenings.

BrassicaBabe Wed 13-May-15 10:39:19

Another one with a nanny here smile

mandy214 Fri 15-May-15 21:41:09

Not in the same situation because I went back 3 days (and my twins were my first children) but I would also second a nanny. If you go back for 2 or 3 days, and depending where you live, you might be able to nanny share. It is so much easier when you first go back to have someone come to the house - doesn't matter if they've finished breakfast / are dressed / don't have to get everyone out of the door by a particular time. We did that until the babies were 2, at which point we switched to a nursery.

BettyCatKitten Sun 17-May-15 20:02:01

I have 8 year old twins and for the past few years have worked nights. Not ideal but it works for us (but am permanently knackered!)

MrsJackAubrey Fri 29-May-15 23:02:55

Nanny. We probably wouldn't have lived to tell the tale otherwise. I went back to work four days a week (run own business) til they were 5 then went back FT but did some school pick ups.

Day nanny worked for us, and for some of the time we nanny shared, when they were bigger - this made a big difference to the cost.

elizabethsmum Sat 30-May-15 08:05:00

I went back to work when dt's were 10 months old and dd1 was 5 and at school. also had had ( and still have) a home childcarer- slightly different in that she is employed via an agency rather than directly by me. it is extremely expensive whichever way you look at it (variable between £800-1000 p month for pt childcare for us) but it has been the best solution for us and saved my sanity. I initially got some help with it via tax credits (now been overpaid but that's another story...) . I went back to my nhs job for 10 months on long days but it was hardly financially viable and lots of work stresses so took the plunge and went freelance 3 years ago. Could that be an option in your field of work? good luck- tbh it has been a fab work move for me which I would never have dreamt of doing otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now