Talk

Advanced search

A daft question

(11 Posts)
GuybrushThreepwoodMP Wed 29-Apr-15 20:48:51

I'm in early pregnancy with twins, I think the phrase is dcda? Where they have separate placentas etc. I have one dd with whom I had a normal birth.
I have a silly question about a twin birth. When you have one baby, you labour, you give birth to the baby, then you give birth to the placenta. With dd I had an injection to induce the birth of the placenta.
So with twins, do you have one baby, then one placenta, then the second baby then the second placenta? Or so you somehow have two babies and then two placentas? It must be the first one, right?
Can they still give that injection to speed up the third stage or could that risk causing some kind of degradation to the second placenta?

I'm really sorry- this is the daftest question I think I've ever asked. Just trying to get my head around the idea of having two babies.

MyOneandYoni Wed 29-Apr-15 20:52:54

Not sure, but congratulations. Sure somebody with more experience will be along soon...

MotheringShites Wed 29-Apr-15 20:59:24

Congratulations! I have dcda twins and it's just wonderful. Not absolutely sure about your question as I had a c-section but I think the babies come first. Good luck!

redspottydress Wed 29-Apr-15 21:02:57

Yes both babies then placentas. They often end up fused.

neversleepagain Wed 29-Apr-15 21:47:07

I ended up with one fused placenta. No idea as mine were c section babies. I do know the fused placenta out after the babies.

RockerMummy184 Thu 30-Apr-15 10:07:03

Hi Guybrush,
I'm currently 15 weeks with DCDA twins (it's taken me a while to figure out what kind they are too!), and was told by my consultant at my last appointment that you give birth to the babies 1st then the placentas afterwards.
I don't think it was a daft question, in fact I have so many daft questions floating round in my head this one seems absolutely ordinary! grin
I also have a singleton, a DS who is 2, and am finding this pregnancy VERY different to when I had him.
I want to keep asking people 'is this normal...' but as I don't know anyone else who's had twins people just seem to look at me funny!
Hope all is going well with your pregnancy.
x

mrsm16 Sat 16-May-15 12:19:13

I ended up with a fused placenta so twin 1, twin 2 and then placenta

Heels99 Sat 16-May-15 12:22:51

No idea had c section

Rootvegetables Tue 23-Jun-15 10:51:11

I had both babies and then both placentas. It's really interesting, I looked at my singletons placenta when he was born and it looked so much healthier than my twin ones. I asked my consultant the same question and both babies then both placentas is the preferred way, so I guess it can happen another way too! Congratulations!

TwinsPlusAnotherTwo Thu 02-Jul-15 23:23:46

I ended up asking my consultant this question, as it's one thing they never seem to tell anyone! Most people I knew with twins had a section, so couldn't tell me.

Yes, as above, both babies, then placenta.

toomuchtooold Fri 10-Jul-15 14:03:47

I don't remember that bit particularly well as I was passing out and needed oxygen... tiring business, twin labour... but yes, two babies and then the placentas.

What happened with us was I went into labour naturally and then had twin 1, then induction with syntocin injection, then another second stage labour and then twin 2. Then the placentas, and I'm not sure whether they had to give an injection to speed up delivery of the placentas because a) it's the same stuff as for the induction so possibly not necessary as I'd had some 45 minutes earlier and b) they had a cannula in each arm so they were giving me a lot of drugs without my noticing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now