Talk

Advanced search

Decisions about birth

(11 Posts)
Diamondsareagirls Mon 03-Mar-14 10:59:21

Hi, I am currently 32 weeks with b/g twins and wanted to know when your consultant/midwife started to make decisions about which route to go with the birth. Both twins are still transverse so it is looking like a C-section might be our route but we have got a scan at 34 weeks to see if they have moved.

When did you know which option you were going for? For those of you who had a planned C section, when were you booked in for it?

andadietcoke Mon 03-Mar-14 12:44:40

No discussions, nothing at all, until 36 weeks. Scan, and appt with consultant afterwards. Both were breech so I was booked in for an ELCS there and then for 38+2. At 32 weeks I asked and they said they wouldn't make any decisions until they'd checked their position at 36w as they were unlikely to move then. I was told that if I went into labour earlier then they'd scan me on presentation to check position and make plans then.

neversleepagain Mon 03-Mar-14 13:09:42

My consultant didn't want to talk about birth options with me until quite late into the pregnancy. I had a big bump with big babies and he said I wouldn't go much further than 35 weeks. At 34 my waters went and both babies were transverse (and had been from 28 weeks). I was admitted and given steroids with the plan to have a c section 48 hours later. I started contracting the next day so had a EMCS straight away. We planned for a natural birth all along.

jammiecat Mon 03-Mar-14 13:28:24

I was given my c section date today (37+5) at my 34 week appt. I had a scan last week which showed they were still breech (have been since about 20n weeks) and consultant said only about 5% will turn at this point. I have another growth scan at 36 weeks and I will be scanned again when I arrive for the c section. If twin 1 has turned by then I will be induced on c section date instead.

Diamondsareagirls Mon 03-Mar-14 16:35:08

Thanks everyone. I am trying to keep an open mind as to what will happen but I am getting impatient to know smile

littlegreendragon13 Mon 03-Mar-14 22:18:54

We talked about it briefly right at the beginning (i.e. did I want vaginal or section in an ideal world) and I said vaginal and they noted it down but we didn't discuss it again until 34 weeks when we discussed the fact that the twins had been breech T1 and transverse T2 since 24 weeks. Agreed on a section with a scan to check positions at 36 weeks, they hadn't moved and the date was then set for 38 weeks which is this coming Monday! smile

HighVoltage Tue 04-Mar-14 10:01:20

As I'd had a (relatively) easy birth with DS1 it was always assumed I would give birth vaginally if Twin 1 was head down.

DTS was head down from about 28 weeks then DTD was too from about 35 weeks so the assumption continued - both delivered vaginally at 37+6 and 38 weeks (either side of midnight).

(Honestly I think I might have asked for a cs if they were my first though.)

slightlyinsane Tue 04-Mar-14 10:09:01

My apt 2 wks ago the Dr said they start looking at babies position from around 32 wks to see what they are doing. I'm pleased that both of mine have been head down since 21 wks, still are at 25 wks, they've never changed position and hopefully won't. It's taken a lot of the what ifs out of my birth decision I'm stressing enough this pregnancy as it is.

Diamondsareagirls Tue 04-Mar-14 10:35:41

That's so exciting littlegreen Good luck for Monday. By the sounds of it we can at least start discussing options at the 34 week appointment if nothing else.

EeeekItsTwins Tue 04-Mar-14 15:53:21

I'm 29 weeks and not had any real discussions about options. At last appt I asked what their default assumption was, and they said VB, but I get the feeling that's just because I haven't (yet) demanded a CS!

I've been waiting for an anaesthetics referral since 10 - have been told this won't happen til 'well after 30 weeks'. Have been told in previous pregnancies that I couldn't have an epidural, but my hospital is v v keen on having them in place for VB twin deliveries. So feeling quite in limbo about delivery decisions.

MultipleMama Tue 04-Mar-14 16:34:56

I was to have a CS due to MCMA twins - this was decided very early on due to the high risk situation and was to give birth at 35-36 weeks, and one twin was breech. Due to no problems I managed to carry until 37+3. However went into active labor while they were prepping me for my CS (they wouldn't allow me to carry on the PG due to less fluid and breech) and needed to push, so with a support team around me I had a vaginal birth.

My 2nd set was always going to be a home birth but then hospital birth (decision made at 20w scan) but due to problems, I ended up scheduled for a CS at 31+3. I went into labour 3 days before and I strongly didn't want a CS unless needed, I gave birth vaginally at 31 weeks with consultant and midwife's support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now