Advanced search

Given steroids today in case I need a C section in the next week

(34 Posts)
Cheerymum Wed 07-Aug-13 22:16:19

Just looking for a bit of support from anyone who has had twins (or singletons) at around the 32 week mark. I know it's past the worst danger period, but one of my MCDA twins' growth is tailing off on scan and today (at 31+5) I was given steroids in preparation for a possible section next week if the cord blood flow is less than perfect. Was hoping for a vaginal delivery in September, so am feeling a bit apprehensive and low. Any positive stories out there of growth picking up, or good outcomes from early deliveries to encourage me along? Tnx.

LazyMonkeyButler Wed 07-Aug-13 22:20:29

Not of twins, so may not be relevant, but I was given steroid injections at 28 weeks with DD because she was small and I was showing signs of pre-eclampsia. They expected to have to delivery early (around the 30 week mark).

By the next scan, a week later, DD had grown quite a bit & ending up being induced at 38 weeks and weighing 6lbs 14ozs.

A friend had twins at 34 weeks by C-section because one was considerably smaller than the other - they are both fine & healthy and have just celebrated their 1st birthday grin.

All the best.

Cheerymum Wed 07-Aug-13 22:24:02

Thanks, yes absolutely relevant and just what I wanted to hear! Will deal with things however they turn out but it's nice to hear about good endings to lift the gloom!

SisterMatic Wed 07-Aug-13 22:31:22

I was given steroids at 34 weeks as I had pre eclampsia and they wanted to get me to 37. I only made it to 35 as I was extremely poorly. DD had stopped growing too, she didn't have any breathing problems, her only issue was feeding so she had a nasal gastric tube and was in scbu just to grow really. I

Not a twin birth, however twins in the same unit were born heavier than she was. DD is fine, I think the steroids really help so dont worry about having those...although those injections are a bit sore aren't they? Try not to worry, there is every chance they will help your babies and you will go further. I wish you luck,

Cheerymum Wed 07-Aug-13 22:48:54

Thanks Sister, feel like we need a bit of luck at this point. The smaller twin is still estimated as under 3lbs.

neversleepagain Thu 08-Aug-13 09:51:21

My consultant planned to give me steroids at 35 weeks with my twins as he thought I might go into labour early due to their big sizes. I didn't make it to 35 weeks and had to have steroids the night before I had the twins by EMCS.

It is a precaution and a very good one. There will be a big difference in how well your babies can breath unassisted if you are given the steroids.

Rowan may come along with some advice, her MCDA twins were born at 32 weeks for a similar reason, I think.

Good luck, you will be cuddling your lovely babies soon smile

silverangel Thu 08-Aug-13 13:15:01

Hi there,

I had TTTS treated by laser at 19 weeks and then went on to have a placental abruption (probably caused by the laser) at 31+3 so emcs. My girls were 3.1 and 3.3lbs, spent two days in NICU and 6 weeks in SCBU but they had no problems apart from the fact they needed to grow. I had the steroids too and I really think it helped - one needed Cpap for 12 hours and the other one needed no assistance at all.

Good luck, and hope you can keep them in for as long as possible!

silverangel Thu 08-Aug-13 13:15:36

Oh, and they turned two last week and you wouldn't even know they were prem!

PollyPlummer Thu 08-Aug-13 13:36:06

Hi smile I had 30 weeker twins.
They spent 5 weeks in hospital, just to grow, regulate their temps, and feed independently.
They are 3 now and no different to other dc of their age. No health problems from prematurity - they are very healthy and full of energy.
Might be an idea to speak to your scbu and see if you can pop in for a chat. They can explain what will happen before hand so you're prepared.

Good luck.

Cheerymum Thu 08-Aug-13 17:56:09

Thanks so much Never, Silver and Polly. V comparable situations. Am 31+3 today, not +5 yesterday as I wrote in error! TTT and laser ablation must have been v stressful Silver.

Just waiting for my second jab now, and hopefully they'll take me round NICU/SCBU this evening afterwards. V reassuring that even at this early stage their tiny lungs can sometimes cope so well. Hopefully it will just be a case of growing and feeding and temperature regulation once they're safely out as it was for you guys - and they may yet feel its safe to watch and wait a bit, but at least the steroids will be in if not.

Preciousbabies Thu 08-Aug-13 21:14:24

Hi, I had steroids in the week before my twins were delivered at 30 weeks. One of my babies was not growing properly (had iugr) and i had been closely monitored since week 18 of my pregnancy. We were aiming for 32 weeks but didn't quite get there so well done for getting so far along.

Ours were born on 20 dec last year at 1.3 kilos (just under 3lb) and a teeny 800g (just under 2lb). We spent 55 days in the neo natal unit. As others have said, we had no major problems and the babies just needed time to grow , learn to feed and regulate their temperatures.

My bigger twin is now doing superbly and caught up with her weight really quickly. My smaller twin is still small (as a result of reflux and some feeding problems) but I keep getting told to be patient as it can take time to catch up. He has no health problems and both are v active and great in terms of their development.

Best of luck. Keep them in as long as u can but I'm sure u will all be well looked after on the hospital unit should it happen that way.


Cheerymum Thu 08-Aug-13 23:46:59

Thanks Precious. Think at the mo this looks like selective IUGR too rather than TTT, though we could be heading that way. So helpful to hear that other babies in the same boat are ok. Had a NICU/SCBU tour this evening, which was very helpful. X

confuddledDOTcom Fri 09-Aug-13 00:15:36

Mine were singletons but all came 29-35 weeks. All have done really well, my 31 weeker didn't even get steroids and she was breathing for herself. My 29 weeker was a whopping 2lb 9oz! He was my biggest on the chart, he never needed intubation. I had one IUGR who in the early days did the best out of all of them.

Hope your leg isn't too sore.

Cheerymum Fri 09-Aug-13 06:05:53

Thanks all. So good to hear. The first injection stung a bit, but last night's was sore sore sore!! Done though. Having an epidural/spinal to get these cheeky monkeys out won't be any worse than that!!

Preciousbabies Sat 10-Aug-13 15:54:56

Let us know how things go. Would love to hear!

Cheerymum Sat 10-Aug-13 20:54:42

Will do Precious. Babies were v quiet yesterday morning so I went in for monitoring for a bit but the heart traces were fine and they perked up again on the kicking front while I was there. Very wriggly again today. Will update after my Doppler scan on Weds if nothing happens before.

Preciousbabies Sat 10-Aug-13 21:47:51

I'm getting de ja vous. One minute I was getting my heart rate traces and 2 hours later my babies were here. It can happen so quickly. X

Cheerymum Sat 10-Aug-13 23:15:30

Ha! Yes that could be us soon! Hospital bag is packed and staying in the car pretty much!

Cheerymum Tue 13-Aug-13 22:50:44

Scan tomorrow, fingers crossed we can watch and wait another week.

Cheerymum Wed 14-Aug-13 14:07:43

Ok, so flow through umbilical arteries is fine today, so provided the movements stay fine we are hanging on for a repeat growth scan next week. Reprieve! Relieved (for now!)

Jenijena Wed 14-Aug-13 14:18:23

No experience at all, but glad things seemed positive today. Everything crossed!

Cheerymum Wed 14-Aug-13 15:46:54

Thanks Jeni, the longer they are safe to stay cooking, the better x

Linguaphile Wed 14-Aug-13 17:04:18

Really glad for you, Cheery! Fingers crossed for another week of wriggling. smile

Preciousbabies Wed 14-Aug-13 22:01:14

Great news. Well done. Keep on hanging in there x x

Cheerymum Thu 15-Aug-13 07:00:07

Thanks all. The whole thing about the growth discordance is making me so anxious about still birth but the're moving well this am. Rationally I know the odds of that are small, but they are definitely there in this circumstance. Guess I'm just going to be a bit tense until they're safely out and in my arms - and if that can hang on until 36 weeks or nearer to it I know that's better for them in terms of avoiding more prematurity than necessary. Aaarrggh! Add in the discomforts of late twin pregnancy and I think I might be in need of a new name....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now