Twins, one cephalic, one breech, to be induced at 37wks. What to expect?(17 Posts)
What great news! Fab weights
Well done, enjoy those babies. The feeling of not being PG is AWESOME so don't do too much tomorrow.
Both babies born after induction, 2 hour labour under epidural (was asleep for half of it!), twin 1 7lb, twin 2 7lb.7, born 10 mins apart, so stiches or instruments used. Couldn't have gone better, home within 24 hours and physically feel pretty ok. So guess consultant was right!
Best of luck for wednesday! Please let us know your lovely news xxx
Thank for everyone for these kind words, it must be the pregnancy hormones (and a very tough day with my older two dc's) but feel very emotional thinking of you all out there having gone through the same as me (and survived!) sharing your advice and support. Especially Rowan and Eliso who I have followed through various questions/low points experienced (as 'Holidays', my previous name). Thank you for this reassurance, wish me luck for Wednesday! X
hi beaches, I was in the same position, I had both naturally having been induced at 36+5, the first pessary didn't work so I was put on a drip which worked. I went to 4cm dilated with no drugs then had an epidural and slept until I was fully dilated!
The epidural was fab and my first daughter was born very easily. The second girl then decided to go transverse so my tummy had to be manipulated to move her round and the registrar tugged her out a hand here and a leg there lol. I felt nothing luckily but did end up with a tear which was very neatly stitched up and which healed very swiftly. I very quickly lost all the baby weight and my stomach is flatter than before, must be all the running around I have to do!
My twins are now 9 weeks and gorgeous - good luck for next week - you'll be fine :-)
Hi beachesandbuckets. Wow, hasn't time flown since we first announced our twin pregnancies on this thread!
I was induced at just under 38 weeks with my 2 in the end. I was recommended a C-section up until the v last minute when twin 1 turned. At that point, they advised that, with 2 previous natural births, I should aim for another due to less recovery time etc. But, like you, they wouldn't let me just hang on and booked me in for induction.
I had my waters broken and they said that, if that didn't kick start labour, I would have the syntocin drip later on.
Because of the possibility of the drip, and also the possibility of an emergency c-section with twin 2, they advised an epidural, and I happily agreed! I had never had one before. It worked pretty well in the early stages of labour but petered out towards the later stages and I ended up having gas and air as well. I actually think I could have done the whole thing on gas and air with hindsight. I didn't have to have the drip in the end.
Anyway, labour was about 10 hours and the pushing stage did seem to go on for ever with twin 1( I don't know how long - maybe the epidural slowed things a bit) Then, as others have said, they went in vet-style to turn and deliver twin2 (they ended up using forceps, but very minimally - in fact I didn't even realise they had used them until I saw the notes!)
I must admit the sense of achievement was huge! But my body did take a lot longer to heal than with previous births. It took about 2 weeks until I felt able to walk the twins round the block (then again, a C-section may have set me back further?) compared to about 2 days with DS2.
But now, 5 weeks' on, I feel pretty much back to normal, other than dodgy separated stomach muscles from huge bump. Will be off to physio to sort those out!
Hope this helps, and isn't too off-putting!
All the best for next Wednesday!
It is certainly a scary prospect giving birth to two no matter which way they come out! Personally i would have given anything to have had the opportunity to have them. Naturally, and, having been through a singleton natural birth no pain relief, i would willingly do that 10000 times before having another section.
I must admit tge prospect of turning etc is scary, but im sure your medical team would not be offering the option if they weren't confident. I know they often put in an epidural line just incase you need an emcs, which is prob a good idea and would also provide reassurance to you that they can get things sorted quickly if need be.
Best of luck x
My two were breech right up until the 36th week then spent two weeks turning round and round. Day before I gave birth twin 1 was head down, the other breech, they were totally happy to carry on as normal. Once it came to delivery twin 2 had turned anyway so they both came head first. Also, my OB went in James Herriot style after twin 2 to make sure he got wedged in the birth canal as he'd been such a flipper. I had no pain relief, but the manoeuvre was over in seconds and he shot out.
Having said all that, if you really are unhappy about going for a vaginal delivery talk to your consultant again, make them really go over the pros and cons. Even if you then decide to go for a vaginal delivery as planned at least you'll have been given all available information.
I'm a few weeks behind you was in the same situation with twin 2 breech (thankfully she's just turned herself this week--yay!!), but my consultant told me that part of the reason they encourage natural birth with twin 2 is that they often turn naturally once twin 1 is out of the way. Maybe that's what they're hoping for?
Beaches, if you really would prefer a c section, I am surprised they're saying no. My consultant made it clear that, because it's twins, it's v much my choice.... Did you push at all? Fwiw, a close friend and neighbour had twin one head down and actually delivered twin two still breach 25 mins later (after 20 mins, consultant gave extra syn.... (whatever that drug is to give contractions - I had it with DD, I should know!) to get twin 2 out).
One of twins were born breech. Though I wasn't induced just natural labor. Wasn't keen on turning in case it stressed other twin. So we went ahead. Both boys were healthy and fine.
I was encouraged to have a vaginal birth too. Both twins were transverse when my waters went at 34 weeks & I ended up with an EMCS. All along consultant said turning twin 2 would not be a problem.
No advice about induction. I really enjoyed my c section experience.
Ps wld have preferred a c section but consultant's view is that I am prime candidate for natural, hmmmmmmm....
That's it really, scheduled for next Wednesday. I already have two dc's already, both born naturally and quite quickly.
Any tips or advice on being induced (what actually happens? How long may it take?), breech issue (not sure I want to be 'turned' after reading about the dangers on here) would be very welcome. Thanks!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.