Talk

Advanced search

Shoes on babies.

(6 Posts)
MultipleMama Fri 24-May-13 10:32:36

I'm genuinely curious to hear other mums' opinions on this.

I've always heard and seen some research that putting baby in shoes is bad as their bones are still soft and could cause them to be deformed, then I've had others saying it's okay for babies to wear hard bottom shoes as they're not walking on them yet. It all seems misleading and confusing, and I can't find evidence to support support either side.

My personal opinion is that if my child isn't walking then there's no need for them to be wearing shoes so I just put them in socks when inside and put on knitted booties when out in stroller however I do have pre-walking crawling shoes for when they are outside crawling.

So really, is it just a matter of personal opinion and choice?

minesapintofwine Fri 24-May-13 12:48:12

I was exactly the same as you didnt see the point in proper shoes until they were walking (not sure of the developmental problems they can cause). Shoes are just another added expense when they actually need them so may as well save the money if they don't need them, they are just accessories then.

ClairesTravellingCircus Fri 24-May-13 12:59:21

Agree totally

They are a faff (who hasthe time to find and put on two pairs of shoes on twins grin?)

Unnecessary

The only shoesI bought before they walked were soft leather shoes as we have hard floors that are cold snd slippery with socks only.

ChunkyPickle Fri 24-May-13 13:23:40

MIL was obsessed with proper arch support for DS - even though they don't get arches until they've been walking for a while.

I agree with you - something to keep feet warm until they're walking, something softish for when they're figuring out how to get on their feet, and only proper shoes once they're sprinting down the road with you hopelessly calling for them to come back.

Life is too short for putting real shoes on babies that don't need them - whether it does anything to their feet or not! (and don't get me started on the wierd brace-type apparatus for allegedly keeping socks on...)

miffybun73 Fri 24-May-13 13:26:09

Agree totally, mine didn't wear anything other than socks until they were walking outside of the house.

When I see trainers on babies in prams I am just confused

MultipleMama Fri 24-May-13 13:42:07

I have a friend who buys her child designer shoes because they're cute. Her daughter is 2 month old, she'll be growing out of those shoes in less than a month so what's the point?

Glad, I'm not the only one to see shoes as a pointless until they actually need them.

The have braces for socks?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now