Talk

Advanced search

Bedding in shared cot

(7 Posts)
Teds77 Tue 25-Sep-12 18:06:28

Ours twins are currently sharing a cot bed. They are just 10 weeks old but are 38 weekers so are already pretty big - my boy is over 10lb.

They lay sideways on next to each other but are nearly too long for this. My girl is still fully swaddled but my boy is only half-swaddled. We are keen to try him in a sleeping bag now plus we are having to watch the temperature is warm enough with just the swaddles. However, whilst they are sharing I'm not really sure what's the best arrangement with bedding so that they don't disturb each other and I'm not worrying about one of them smothering the other.. paranoid first time Mum...

Did anyone else use sleeping bags when their twins were still sharing and if so how did you position them and did you worry about the bottom of the bags overlapping or being folded up?

If you were to put a blanket or sheet over the swaddle would it be best for the babies to be head to head in the centre of the cot and if so did this work for you?

Or should I just put the second cot bed up?

Thank you!

LargeGlassofRed Tue 25-Sep-12 18:17:43

Hi think by that age, my two were head to head in sleeping bags, in a regular size cot, they went into there're own cots by about 4 months I think as they started moving more and waking each other up.

TwelveLeggedWalk Tue 25-Sep-12 21:58:08

I had them in sleeping bags sleeping sideways for ages, but mine were proper tiny. I think then they slept on a sort of diagonal, but I was a bit twitchy about the sleeping bag/smothering issue. WE had a video monitor so it was easy to check if they had wriggled round.
I only separated ours when DS started standing up (and falling straight back!), so they were in together for ages, but could you push the 2 cotbeds together so they feel they're next to each other but safe? (There was a lot of wrestling in ours' bed as well!)

ceeveebee Tue 25-Sep-12 23:53:12

We seperated ours at about 12 weeks I think - we have very small cots and DTS had started rolling. I think they were swaddled up to that point anyway, only moved to sleeping bags later on (its all a blur!!)I

Teds77 Thu 27-Sep-12 07:35:42

Thanks all. We tried them sideways both in sleeping bags and it looked safe enough for me to remain calm! DTD surprised us all by going straight to sleep without a swaddle. Hope that lasts!

strawberrylace Fri 28-Sep-12 20:12:23

hi! my twins slept in the same cot for about 7 months in sleeping bags. They started next to each other at one end of the cot. When they got to about 5 months we then moved them to either end of the cot, with their heads in the middle and sleeping on a diagonal. they always slept really well together, didn't wake each other up particularly. i only separated them when they were really too big to keep sharing. I had them in sleeping bags until they were 20 months - now they are in fleece sleepsuits while I wait to build their beds and start to use duvets

surfingbabies Mon 15-Oct-12 13:13:34

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! My twins shared a cot until they got too big then my DP turned a single bed into a giant cot. They slept in sleeping bags because if I put a blanket on them it wouldn't stay on. You could also use fleece all in ones but your babies are good sizes so I'm sure they would move or cry if the other was in the way. Mine were big too. I wasn't keen on separating them as they always seemed more settled when together, they are 8 now and still share a room through choice......they have been offered their own rooms over the last 5 years but they always say no smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now