Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding problem

(13 Posts)
PrincessScrumpy Thu 22-Sep-11 20:17:28

My dtds are 3w old and are bf with one bottle of half expressed breast milk and half formula a day (I don't have time to express enough for 2 full feeds as I also have dd1 who's 3). Both latch on well despite being prem (36w) and tube fed in SCBU to start with but now my left boob is really painful with each suck - it gets more bearable once latched on but still not nice. I really want to keep feeding them but in the middle of the night the pain is getting too much. MW thought it could be thrush and checked the girls mouths but there is no sign and I have no other symptoms.

I fed dd1 until 8 months and although I'm trying to be realistic about not stressing if it doesn't work out so easily feeding twins I know I'll regret it if I give up this soon. I was starting to get the hang of tandem feeding but the pain makes that harder. Please help.

thisisyesterday Thu 22-Sep-11 20:26:36

hmm it could be the beginnnings of thrush... you may not see other symptoms yet

the only other thing i can think of is that you've got a bit lazy with latch? that happens a lot when you get going with the feeding and it's all going well and you just don't pay as much attention as you did in the early days.
i would say pay extra special attention to ensuring they're latched on really well and just see how you go

DeepLeafEverything Thu 22-Sep-11 20:29:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crikeybadger Thu 22-Sep-11 20:35:39

Agree with TIY about checking the latch- perhaps it just needs a little bit of tweaking. The pain associated with thrush generally lasts after a feed as well so it doesn't strike me as that.

Sometimes changing feeding positions can help- may be give rugby ball hold a try?

PrincessScrumpy Thu 22-Sep-11 20:45:45

I do change position, and use rugby ball for tandem feeds but normal hold for individual feeding, but I really don't think it's the latch as the nipple doesn't hurt, the pain is deeper and feels like the milk is travelling down to the nipple dragging knives with it. Plus they're both feeding fine from the other side.

I'll call my GP tomorrow but after cs I can't drive, hopefully he can come to me.

DeepLeafEverything Thu 22-Sep-11 20:56:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crikeybadger Thu 22-Sep-11 21:49:43

Here's a good leaflet from the BFN about thrush.

Could be a good one to show the GP.

Hoep you feel better soon.

TheControversialJessie Fri 23-Sep-11 12:50:44

Never had thrush, but your posts read like "How to recognise Thrush" sections in my old antenatal books!

PrincessScrumpy Sat 24-Sep-11 17:24:02

Yep, it's thrush I have it in my boobs and dtds have it in their mouths. MW came and did a home visit, she saw me feed and said I was doing everything right and it was them playing up (the girls) and it might be because of the thrush in their mouths. My gp kindly faxed a prescription to my nearest pharmacy as 3w post cs I cannot drive and dh gets home from work too late. Feeling much happier today but still hurts - at least I know it's being treated now though!

Thanks for everyone's help.

crikeybadger Sat 24-Sep-11 22:11:09

Glad you've got some help Princess- I'm assuming that you have treatment for both you and your dtds?

PrincessScrumpy Sun 25-Sep-11 09:10:30

Yep, tablets and cream for me and drops for dtds.

crikeybadger Sun 25-Sep-11 17:01:11

Good, hopefully that will see it off.

kathryn2804 Mon 26-Sep-11 00:00:59

Good diagnosis, and a gp who prescribed you the tablets first time is hard to come by so that's great! It should all settle down in a few days but Keep doing the meds for 2 weeks after the end of the symptoms as it's hard to shift completely and you don't want it coming back!!

Other things you can do:
Reduce your sugar intake - thrush loves sugar
Wash everything at 60 degrees, especially, bras, nursing pads and towels
Eat live yoghurt or Yakult type drinks
Make sure you sterilise anything that has been in the babies' mouths, bottles, dummies, toys etc
Wash your hands!!
Take acidophilus - herbal remedy that really works
Don't freeze your expressed milk. If you use it straight away that's fine. but if you freze it and use it later you risk re-infecting the babies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now