Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Expecting Twins & have 2 year old toddler - Help with Volvo XC90

(6 Posts)
tigerbump Sun 04-Sep-11 08:54:12

We are not in a position to easily test drive a volvo XC90 so looking for feedback before we commit to the long drive to go and try it. My questions are...

Does the middle seat on 2nd row fold down easily - reason for asking is i think twins will go by each door on the isofix fitting.

If you have isofix fitting on one of the 2nd row seats can you still get out from the 3rd row of seats?

Will a toddler (2 year old) car seat fit on the 3rd row of seats and still leave room for an adult to sit there?

Do you use the booster in the middle 2nd row seat, is this from 4 years old?

With all seats up, what do you think of the boot space - enough room for prams and luggage?

Generally how happy were you with the XC90 for young children and adults seating?

Thanks so much in advance for any feedback. Gotta get a 7 seater ASAP

jinxwilson Sun 04-Sep-11 17:54:46

Hi there Tigerbump watching this intently as have 20 month old and expecting twins in January. Also thinking of the xc90...life is going to change...

TinyWeeTeethGreatBigBite Sun 04-Sep-11 18:14:07

I had an XC90 (06 Plate) for 2 adults (one was very tall) and 3 DC, when we got it they were 3.5, 15 mths and newborn.

I can't answer all your questions, but can tell you that

- there's plenty of boot space,

- the 3rd row of seats is not very comfy/roomy for an adult,

- I used the booster seat occasionally for dc1 from 4yrs however, dc1 is VERY tall for her age. I'm not sure if it would be suitable for a smaller child, ie my dc2 is tall but very light so o don't know if I would have done the same.

- from about 5years I used the booster all the time.

- I didn't use isofix so I can't answer that. The seats I used had to come out though iirc before 2nd row could be folded.

- the 3rd row was 2 separate seats so having a car seat on one didn't affect the other.

All in all I was happy with it, though it was expensive to run.

TinyWeeTeethGreatBigBite Sun 04-Sep-11 18:16:02

Sorry hope that helps!

londonmum123 Sun 04-Sep-11 23:06:17

Hello, I have an XC90 and love it. DD1 was 20 months when are DTs arrived and we chose the XC90 specifically to fit three cars seats (twins are now 5 months).

We have rear facing Maxi-Cosi seats (+ easyfix bases) for the twins and a forward facing Britax seat for DD1). It's tight, but they all fit.

Again, can't answer all the questions right now (but can check if you need me to) but here goes.

- never tried to put the middle seat down. The seats next to the doors in the second row are easy to put down so would assume the middle one would be too. I initially assumed we would put DD1 in the middle too but it's actually harder to get her into the middle seat than it is to lift a twin + car seat into it. Also, we have found that DD1 can only inflict one twin with her special brand of love if she's at a window seat. We alternate which twin has to sit next to her to minimize the trauma... It's worth noting that the middle seat in the second row doesn't have isofix. I've not checked whether the third row seats have isofix as not needed to use them.

- as TinyWeeTeethGreatBigBite said, the third row of seats isn't the roomiest for adults. While an adult and your 2 year old would fit, it wouldn't be terribly comfortable for long journeys.

- we have used the booster seat for visiting relatives. It's great. Yes, think it's from 4 years/15kg.

- we have a mountain buggy duo + double carrycot and that takes up most of the boot with the third row of seats down. I don't think it would fit if the third row of seats is up. However, the pram is a beast so it really does depend on what pram you have and how much luggage you take. The boot is very roomy and you can section it off and it has handy baggage hooks for your food shopping etc (not that I have time for that anymore!). We have a roofbox too which we use when we are going away for more than a few nights (I am unable to pack light).

It's really roomy in the front and lovely to drive (although an automatic so takes a bit of getting used to if you have always driven manual cars). We had an Audi A4 previously and it seems to pokey now in comparison. It does guzzle fuel though so not terribly cheap to run if you are driving long distances regularly.

I would definitely recommend it and it's the car of choice where I live for parents with three children or more.

For what it's worth, I hear the Ford S-MAX (typo?) is very good also.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with your twins (and keeping your two year old entertained - invest in sticker books!!)

1stMrsF Wed 07-Sep-11 22:36:47

Sorry if you get some duplicate answers here, got confused reading the replies you already had.

Does the middle seat on 2nd row fold down easily - YES - you pull a handle on the back of the seat. Goes completely flat.

If you have isofix fitting on one of the 2nd row seats can you still get out from the 3rd row of seats? Probably yes, not tried this but all of the second row seats both fold totally flat and move forward.

Will a toddler (2 year old) car seat fit on the 3rd row of seats and still leave room for an adult to sit there? Not sure. The 3rd row is actually 2 very separate full size seats so there is definitely room for an adult to sit comfortably on the other seat. I have twin 2yos and their car seats have brace bars and I don't think they would fit in the 3rd row for that reason. So depends on your car seat.

Do you use the booster in the middle 2nd row seat, is this from 4 years old? Haven't used it yet, but yes it is for use from 4yo.

With all seats up, what do you think of the boot space - enough room for prams and luggage? No, not great. But then all 7 seaters have rubbish boot space and it's probably better than some. I can get my Nipper 360 in there but probably not much else. We have the 3rd row down most of the time and the boot space is AMAZING then. You can also only fold up one seat at a time in the 3rd row which doubles the luggage space, so if this is an option for you it might help.

Generally how happy were you with the XC90 for young children and adults seating? I love it, it's so comfortable. We regularly go out with 2 toddlers and 5 adults comfortably. All of the seats are 'proper' adult seats with good leg room and full adjustable. I find it difficult having 2 isofix seats as it's hard to get into the back (we use the middle seat folded flat or climb into the boot and then fold up the final seat!) but it's possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now