Talk

Advanced search

Twin scans

(4 Posts)
WhiteRoses Sun 21-Aug-11 16:15:08

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains here... See, I went for a private early scan last week (7wks pregnant) and was told that I'm having twins. Two heartbeats, two seperate sacs. As far as the NHS goes, I've got my booking appointment with the midwife tomorrow (that's when I'll meet her for the first time) and I've been told that my "first" scan's booked for 13wks + 1day. I was just wondering if I'm likely to be able to get a scan any earlier than this, seeing as I know I'm carrying twins? I know it's supposed to be safer that my twins have the their own placentas, but surely it'd be worth checking up on them again before 13wks? Also, I've read (on Google so i don't know how true it is?) that the Downs Syndrome test can't be carried out on twins after 14wks - surely having my scan at 13wks + 1day is cutting that a bit fine too, in case the dates are a bit out (they were with my first baby)?

Thanks.

WeddingGirl Sun 21-Aug-11 21:49:57

Hi, there's a great info booklet I was given by my hospital when I found out I was expecting twins (NHS leaflet, "Screening for Down's Syndrome in Multiple Pregnancy"). It says it can ONLY be tested for between 11 weeks and 13+6, and explains everything really well! I was IVF, so ad an early scan too, then more scans as they weren't sure there was a membrane. Now I'm NHS and been scanned 2 weekly since about 16 weeks (MCDA twins), but I' not sure what is normal. Best of luck tomorrow x

WalterFlipschicks Mon 22-Aug-11 15:43:56

I was told the downs test was ineffective on twins so didnt have it, wasn't offered.
There is no need for an earlier scan than 12 weeks unless there is a problem, i had the same as you dcda twin boys. I had scans 3 weekly from 24 weeks, other than that notihng extra from ds1

PrincessScrumpy Mon 22-Aug-11 19:45:26

I was told downs test was not clear with twins so they wouldn't do it. I'm having ID twins (seperate sacs, one placenta) and all checks were as with single pg except for consultant booking appointment at 16w and then it all kicked off from 20w scan - fortnightly scans and consultant appointments. I think it's slightly less with non-id twins. I'm having my twins in 11 days (and counting, I'm huge - all bump but can hardly walk).

Congratulations - we found out at 7 weeks too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now