Talk

Advanced search

Weaning twins

(13 Posts)
Dnomaid Wed 17-Aug-11 22:14:43

do any of you multiple parents have some top tips for weaning twins? Did you wean them both together? Did you find that one liked a food and the other didn't? Have to admit I am dreading it! I have b/g twins who are 23 weeks and just preparing for the next step now - we have the highchairs, the books, the bowls, ice cube trays and blender - only 3 weeks to go!!
Thanks in advance for any help.

SouthGoingZax Wed 17-Aug-11 22:17:24

One of mine grabbed my toast at 5 1/2 months and the other spooned some porridge into himself at 6 months. We did BLW (baby led weaning) with our twins and it worked really, really well, and without the hassle of pureeing.
There's a book I think, but look for BLW threads on MN if you are interested.
And no, ours don't like all the same things - DT1 goes for protein first, DT2 for starch!!

Best of luck grin

Dnomaid Wed 17-Aug-11 22:22:32

Yes I have looked at BLW and I think my boy twin could cope, but my girl twin was very small (3 lb 5) at birth and is still "catching up" and I don't think she would take to it so well. I thought I could mainly do the puree thing and then offer him some finger foods too?

SouthGoingZax Wed 17-Aug-11 22:26:44

Ahhhh - yes, my DT2 was smaller (5lb6 dropped to 5lb2) and he was definitely ready later than DT1 (6lbs13). Mine were born at 37 weeks.

Yy to doing a 'bit of both' - we did that really - I did spoon some porridge and sloppy things like soup, especially for DT2.

They'll pick it up when they're ready. Best thing I did was just take the lead from them, feed them whenever they asked (we breastfed so no idea how much they had!) and they just got on with it! My smaller boy really raced up through the centimes once he got into weaning - and now he's chunkier than his brother grin

SouthGoingZax Wed 17-Aug-11 22:27:32

centiles, not centimes!

Dnomaid Wed 17-Aug-11 22:40:36

Thanks for your replies SGZ! smile

SouthGoingZax Wed 17-Aug-11 22:46:26

Hey, you're welcome. Always nice to talk to another twin mum!

chutneypig Thu 18-Aug-11 13:22:02

My DD was much smaller than her brother (3.5lb difference at birth). He was huge and had an enormous appetite, still has. I don't think I'd have persisted with weaning with her, left it a bit later, except I was pushing on with DS. I'd often just give her a taste of whatever he was having. I mostly did purees, not very clued up on BLW then.

I think there was a competitive element with them, they wouldn't turn food down if they thought the other was going to have it. They both have very healthy appetites now - they start school next month and their new teacher commented how much they liked their food.

jassinkernow Thu 18-Aug-11 14:12:20

Weaned both together (similar sizes, born at 38wks) at about 5 mths old. Did a bit of both here - DTD refused to eat off a spoon from the outset, so she was BLW. DS was all about the spoon (cue lots of elder-relative comments about lazy boys!). I did a fair bit of puree-on-rice cake/cracker etc for DD so they could have the same things (ish).
Now, at almost 3, they are like Jack Sprat and his wife - DD loves protein, DS loves veg. They both like a range of stuff, but not many of the same things. I have just started a new 'regime' where I cook one meal for all three kids, making sure everyone gets their favourites over the course of a week and don't stress if that means they eat badly at some meals. Having done it, I would say try hard not to go down the route of preparing them different stuff - easier said than done though!
Good luck, I really enjoyed weaning, it can be great fun...

Dnomaid Thu 18-Aug-11 21:35:00

Thanks for all your advice!

londonlottie Thu 18-Aug-11 21:59:10

Message withdrawn

1stMrsF Fri 19-Aug-11 14:55:16

Can't say enough good things about BLW for multiples. I did both at the same time at (almost) 6 months, never blended or mashed anything, never carried any food for them when out at restaurants/cafes/other people's houses. I have always eaten my own meal hot, never having to feed them at the same time and they are incredibly sociable eaters now (at 2.3) who can sit nicely at the table for a whole adult meal.

Mine also have different likes and dislikes which usually means everything gets eaten between them - useful! Also freezing things (e.g. cottage pie) in single adult portions is good for feeding both of them.

MamaChocoholic Fri 19-Aug-11 15:23:53

nice to see others have "jack sprat and his wife" twins smile one of mine prefers veg/fruit and the other just goes for carbs. we did blw which has worked well, I am too lazy to spoon feed two babies let alone make purees.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now