Talk

Advanced search

How do you bath your twins together?

(14 Posts)
Bellbell Tue 16-Aug-11 20:05:10

Have just bought 2 bath seats for my 9 month old twins - until now we've been bathing them one at a time. I'm just wondering how you do it without leaving one alone in the bath, even for a few seconds, while you take the other one out?? Our bathroom is too small to get them both changed in there. Any tips would be helpful - would be great to bath them both at the same time, more fun for them and less backbreaking for me... I'm hoping!

RedBlanket Tue 16-Aug-11 20:10:32

DH and I always did it together at that age. If I had to do it on my own then it I would leave one in the cot, bathe the other one and then swap them over.
I wouldn't leave them for a nano second. Theyre 7 now and I still don't leave them in there on their own for too long now.

BertieBotts Tue 16-Aug-11 20:11:15

Could you put a big towel down on the floor, and two baby-sized towels within reach too, before you start, and just take one out and put them on the towel before you get the other out? They won't freeze from being wet on the floor for a few seconds/minute or two. I can see you say the bathroom is small, but it can't be that small that you couldn't physically fit a baby on the floor. (I'd say wrap up twin one who is on the floor while keeping an eye on twin 2 who is in the bath, you could then safely abandon twin 1 mid-wrapping if twin 2 did slip - but possibly not likely to be wrapping them if they are crawling now!)

BrassicaBabe Tue 16-Aug-11 21:15:50

My twins are 8 weeks old and I bath them at the same time using moulded plastic seats. It has a lump between where their legs go so there is no risk of them slipping down into the water. I don't leave them obviously, but they are secure enough that I can wash one babe before turning to the other. I can't remember the make, but they were only about £12. And I turn my back on one while lifting the other out a changing mat ont the floor
Maybe 9 month old twins are a whole different kettle of fish though blush
Of all the rubbish I've bought these seats/lounger thingys are about the cheapest and most useful thing I've bought! grin

Bellbell Tue 16-Aug-11 22:13:35

Thanks everyone... yes, I can see changing them both, or at least wrapping them both in towels in the bathroom makes sense. It's just that they're starting crawling now and in our small bathroom I can see one wriggling off and knocking themselves on the base of the sink or the toilet or something.... I was thinking I could get one changed and put them in a seat outside the bathroom while getting the other one out, but it does mean turning my back on the one in the bath for a bit, and worried about that... I also saw some fancy towelling ponchos in Jojo mama bebe, perhaps whipping them both out and putting them on would mean I could move them both into the other room and change them as normal there.... do these sort of endless logistical conundrums ever end????

rubyrubyruby Tue 16-Aug-11 22:17:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bellbell Tue 16-Aug-11 23:24:20

Yep, been doing a bit of internet perusal and come to the conclusion that baby dressing gowns are the way to go. Thanks all.

Mandy21 Wed 17-Aug-11 11:59:42

We had these when the babies were little

http://www.johnlewis.com/230501627/Product.aspx

I used to put them both in the seats whilst we played / splashed / washed, then I'd get one out and get them dried / dressed on my knee sitting on the loo whilst the other was safe in the bath seat. Its suckered to the bottom of the bath so pretty sturdy. Your little one will be sitting up in it so you'll be able to see him / her. When the first one was dressed, I'd lay them on the floor for a minute (or if you can squeeze it on, put them in a bouncy chair) whilst I dried the other.

MamaChocoholic Wed 17-Aug-11 12:17:11

I do a shallow bath and drain it just before I take one baby out. quick dry, pop nappy on (whilst sitting on toilet next to bath watching baby 2 in case he heads to the taps, our bathroom not huge!). leave baby 1 to crawl around bathroom floor using my feet to direct away from dangers. then take out baby 2 and do the same. they're 10mo and are crawling, pulling up to stand etc. it's basically high stress, so they only get a bath twice a week. it has got easier though as I have got more confident in their ability to recognise danger. not sure what will happen as winter approaches and we turn the radiators on though.

Geepers Wed 17-Aug-11 12:20:53

Mine are 18 months and I either have to bath them separately,, or get one of my older children to sit in the bath with them.

hellswelshy Sat 20-Aug-11 10:26:44

Agree at this age its really hard work to do it alone, but if you have no choice then i used to (in very small bathroom)take one out and dress on floor on towel and then transfer dressed baby to either cot or bouncer, whilst sorting out other baby. Its really hard work thats for sure, it wore all of us out before bedtime, not just themgrin! Obviously theres always some disapproval from the babies, but youve got to do what youve got to do i say. Ultimately, i admit, i used to wait until husband was home, or other family member and it was so much less stress. They dont really need a bath every night, a good wash normally suffices. Take the easy option, dont make work for yourself, and when it cant be avoided, do it quick! x

twinsmom2010 Fri 02-Sep-11 13:11:21

i've just bought the twins aquapod from mothercare to bathe my 9 month old twins. They sit upright in the seats and can't wriggle around-meaning i an bathe them together. Bought mine from mothercare- think it was #36 but it's a good investment as they will use it until they are much older.

londonlottie Mon 05-Sep-11 12:21:48

Message withdrawn

Turkelton Thu 22-Sep-11 23:49:15

I used the aquapods as well for my ddts now aged 2, When doing it on my own would take dd1 out and dry off, she would then crawl out onto landing (secured! stair-gate locked, all doors closed except their own bedroom) then get dd2 out and dress them in their room smile

Just to add re Aquapods, once they get a bit older I found them actually more of a danger, found that girls could actually lift themselves while still in them so if they toppled them over would be v dangerous

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now