Talk

Advanced search

Advice about routine please!

(3 Posts)
scrambled Sat 30-Jul-11 13:30:19

We have identical twins girls who are 12 weeks actual and 2 weeks corrected (they were 10 weeks prem) (also a 2 year old and a 4 year old) I'm after some advice about a routine - what did you do that worked? At the moment they feed every 3 to 4 hours and are awake for a little bit after each feed and then sleep. Would you wake them to feed or just let them sleep? I try to feed one and then the other, can't do them both together they aren't great feeders! I've tried waking them every 3 hours in the day but often they don't take much or just go back to sleep and i get frustrated. I'm worried if i just leave them to get on with it then we'll end up with no routine at all! or maybe I'm just worrying about nothing................off to feed again, will check in later!

londonlottie Sun 31-Jul-11 21:19:01

Message withdrawn

Cerubina Mon 01-Aug-11 13:03:08

Hi, congratulations on your twins. What routine did they get into at the hospital? My twins were 8.5 weeks early and by the time they came home they were on 4-hourly feeds. We upped it to 3-hourly (waking when necessary) and began on the Gina routine at about 6 weeks corrected, which meant 3-4 hours between feeds typically. This worked pretty well for us.

I think waking them to feed is a good idea, as otherwise they may go too long between feeds and struggle to take their full quota of milk in 24 hours. If they go back to sleep afterwards that's no great problem at such a young age, but if in the middle of a feed perhaps you can stop and change their nappy or something to wake them up again?

The other benefit of sticking to some kind of routine is that you can more or less avoid the trouble of both screaming for food at the same time, which I always found/find difficult - I definitely prefer to feed them one at a time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now