Talk

Advanced search

Growth Scans - Can anyone shed any light on the growth of twins and how it differs from singletons?

(5 Posts)
littleowls Mon 04-Jul-11 21:35:42

I am having dcda twins and have had a growth scan at 26 weeks. The MW told me that they were small, they have been plotted on my graph just below the bottom line on the curve (their estimated weights are 684g and 780g). I now have to have a scan every week to check growth and doppler flow alternately. Does anyone have any experience from their own growth scans to share with me? I ignorantly expected them to be smaller than a singleton at 26 weeks anyway so didn't realise that they should be the same.

LO x

NickNacks Mon 04-Jul-11 21:37:56

Up until 28 weeks they are expected to follow the growth line of a singleton. Most are usually only slightly smaller at birth due to placenta problems and/or early delivery. HTH.

faeriefruitcake Thu 07-Jul-11 22:53:36

Less space in the womb and more likely to be born before they reach full term due to said lack of space. Mine were both 6lb 'ers. Whereas my singleton was 8lb 7oz.

AtLongLast Fri 08-Jul-11 21:16:05

Our boys were both just over the 50th centile for most measurements throughout and were born at 40wks each a little heavier than an average singleton. Would they have been large singletons had they not been twins? Dunno.

My friend's singleton dd was tiny during pg and still is. At 8 months she only weighed 12lb but the drs have finally concluded she is perfectly healthy, just small. Def a good idea to keep an eye on growth regularly but due to the nature of the graph it can be normal to have unusually small babies.

littleowls Sat 09-Jul-11 21:19:03

My singleton son was only 4lb 7oz, born at 38 weeks which is what has led me to be quite worried about the growth of 2 in there! I suppose getting growth or doppler scan every week should keep a close eye on it all.
So, technically the growth is just like a singleton in some cases, unless there is limited space and/or other issues.

I was really quite relaxed and mellow this pregnancy, until I was told that they are small. Thanks for your responses ladies, it's really helped me get my head round it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now