Talk

Advanced search

Mono rwins

(20 Posts)
xkatyx Wed 25-May-11 10:13:15

Hello

I found out that I'm expecting twins yesterday and was told they are mono twins. I'm roughy 6 weeks

I wish I never looked it up. Our babies don't look like they have much of a chance!

Anyone with experience or advice is very welcome.

I have gone from being so shocked yesterday to today scared we will loose them.

xkatyx Wed 25-May-11 10:14:34

Sorry mono twins

xkatyx Wed 25-May-11 13:59:04

Bump

GibberingGinger Wed 25-May-11 16:24:47

My boys were dichorionic and diamniotic, so I haven't been in your situation. However I do know of people who have had mono chorionic and mono amniotic and they went through pregnancy fine, albeit with a lot more monitoring. Do you know if you if the twins are sharing both the placenta and the sack, or if it's just the sack? Or is it too early to tell? The later is much lower risk, I think it is just sharing the placenta that much cause problems. Hopefully someone will be along soon with a more personal experience. smile

xkatyx Wed 25-May-11 16:31:01

Unfortunately I think mine are sharing everything but I am only 6 weeks maybe later they might be able too see that they have separate sacs or something.

I looked on the Internet and scared myself at how low odds are. But I'm called my midwife and she was fab so I'm going to Altair her advice and not look online anymore.

Thank you for replying .. It's all very scarey

xkatyx Thu 26-May-11 09:43:54

bumping in hope

Flowerpotmummy Sat 28-May-11 14:01:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PrincessScrumpy Sat 28-May-11 14:33:18

I was told at 7w that I was expecting twins. She thought they were MCDA but couldn't confirm until 12w scan - at 12w there was a clear faint membrane. Just enjoy the news, look after yourself and hopefully you'll get good news at the 12w scan.

To be honest, this pg (dare I say it) is easier than pg with dd1. I had spd and thought that with the weight of two it would be horrendous. I'm 23+2w and have no back problems. Am feeling big and tired but not too bad. Sickness did last til 16w but I seem to have forgotten that part! grin. Still doesn't quite feel real. I guess we'd better buy some stuff soon.

Congratulations on your twin pg. x

Mars Sat 28-May-11 15:55:05

Have you seen this online support group monoamniotic.org/public/intro.html ? It might be of some use to you.

I know that you are worried and scared, but try not to worry too too much about what might or might not happen. Take each day as it comes. Now, can I ask, why did you have such an early scan?

Mars Sat 28-May-11 15:57:28

Sorry, that last bit sounded a bit blunt. I type as I'm thinking and of course that doesn't allow for tone. smile

xkatyx Sat 28-May-11 17:04:54

Thank you, I had early scans because my daughter is only 4 months old so because if periods and really nit knowing when a accident must of happend we were sent for a scan.

I made a private scan app with a friend of the family yesterday and she thinks she sees a joining sac YEAY so fingers are firmly crossed

Pregnancy Is rather scarer anyway isn't it just made worse with 2 to worry about .. I'm still a tad shocked!!

Mars Sun 29-May-11 01:02:18

Here's hoping my lovely. Anyway, I inboxed you. And I found you another link, a UK based support group www.twin2twin.org/about_t2t.htm

Let me know how it goes.

theotherboleyngirl Sun 29-May-11 19:30:18

Mine were MCDA but they took a few weeks to find the separating membrane... You should be scanned very regularly. If it's any consolation I had a dreadful time of it from 29 weeks as the girls had TTTTS - looked like they would be coming out at 31 weeks. In the end with my life seemingly spent in hospital (I had other unrelated complications) they made it to 35 weeks and didn't even need SCBU, but transitional care for 8 days and then home. They came out weighing almost identical amounts in the end! Now they are very happy bubbly 17 month olds! Good luck, and try not to worry but DO get yourself informed. Also TAMBA always used to have a good area of advice and a link to NICE guidelines for Monochorionic twins and the care you should ask for.

redshaw01 Wed 01-Jun-11 16:18:29

hello there! i am 25 weeks with MCDA twins, so sharing a placenta but thin membrane between them and at 15 weeks they told me there was no endiastolic blood flow to one of the twins and that it could be an early sign of TTTS. i was then scanned every week, but all other signs of TTTS not present (both babies same size give or take a mm, fluid around babies fine, bladder size normal) so it was just a case of trying to relax and them sort themselves out. each week was the same, either no EDF or intermittant EDF, but everything else ok, so i gave in worrying and then at week 21, everything normal and has been ever since. every time i went for a scan, i asked, do they have two arms and legs each? can you see heart beats in both? and when they said yes, that was enough for me. i am a first time mom, unplanned pregnancy (still have coil in - what are the chances of getting preggers and then having identical twins) and there is not very much info out there except for bad stuff, so honestly, try to relax til you know more for definate. xxx

xkatyx Wed 01-Jun-11 18:27:43

Thank you and congratulations. I had a private scan and they think there is a membrane between then YEAY

So It looks like MCDA too. Do Yiu k ow if these babies are always same sex? I refuse to look in Internet anymore so don't have a clue about them at all.

X

theotherboleyngirl Wed 01-Jun-11 18:33:59

yes they will be the same sex. glad they found the membrane.

Mars Sat 04-Jun-11 12:09:12

good news! It's a good idea NOT to google. You have my info if you need to be in touch.

So pleased for you. smile

redshaw01 Tue 07-Jun-11 10:18:47

yep you have two girls or two boys on the way!! dont be surprised how many people will talk to you about how nice it might be to have one boy one girl, even i thought that about identical twins! best not to google, as seems mostly bad news i agree. i am week 25 now so if you want to ask anything - i am here!!

xkatyx Tue 07-Jun-11 19:48:39

Thank you very much, I'm worrying so much I'm 8 weeks now and have another scan Thursday I'm worried there won't be any heartbeat or something!!!

Got lots more aches and pains too is that part of the package with twins?

Wow 25 weeks how are you feeling? Are you huge i get huge with my single babies un proberly going to be the size of a house lol

redshaw01 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:39:52

xkatyx - i know it is easier said than done, but relax and all will be fine!! i went for my first scan at week 14, as couldnt find time to actually tell doctor and sort, so found out a) i was defo preggers and b) i was having id twins all in one day... she took ages to scan as well and i was panicking nothing was in there... let alone to then be told two! i think its natural to fear the worst so you are prepared.

i am not too bad size wise!! i am 5ft 10 and was size 8/10 before (i didnt even weigh 9st) and as i am a part time spin instructor, i have kept on teaching (first 15 weeks 12 classes, then 10 classes, now only doing 6) but i have still stuck 2.5 stone on so far!! probably still got a stone to stick on too! went from barely an a cup bra to a decent c cup - thats scary!!!

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now