Talk

Advanced search

Bottle feeding young twins at same time

(12 Posts)
LovingTheSunshine Fri 05-Nov-10 20:52:54

Hi
How do you feed one month old twins at the same time? My DH tried in their bouncy chairs but as they can not hold their heads on their own they are too floppy even when using the head supports. We have also tried the Maxi Cosi car seats but the twins do not look that comfortable with a bottle of milk in their mouths. I know some people prop their twins up on pillows on the bed but as I have a near 4 year old I can't see how this will work for me as he will be running all over. Best bet is for us to be in front of the tv! Next week I will have no help at home and I am already dreading feed times. Any help gratfeully received.

Jellibob Fri 05-Nov-10 22:19:19

Initially we fed one first, then the other, but that meant we were feeding all day.

I used to sit on the floor with my back resting on the sofa and knees together. DT1 had really, really bad reflux and needed constant winding and mopping up, so I would have him resting on my thighs. DT2 was more amenable, and I would put her in a bouncy chair, with the head support at first, and vaguely remember using a muslin square to support her head in the right position. She got pretty good at not shouting whilst DT1 was winded and mopped up.

During the night I occasionally sat on the bed with my legs straight in front of me, and one DT either side of me, at right angles, with their heads resting on each thigh. Found this less successful as they tended to roll off...

Watched a lot of CBeebies with DS1, who was 2.5 at the time.

DTs are now 2 and it seems as though this phase was a million years ago!

penona Fri 05-Nov-10 23:00:38

Hello
It is difficult, but it quickly gets better. Until mine were about 8 weeks I rarely did a feed alone, but by then I could feed in their bouncy chairs with a variety of propped muslins/head supports. Also, DD drank v quickly and was always eager, so I tended to feed her first (she was also more vocal!) then wind her while coaxing DS to drink. I used dummies alot to pacify the waiting one.

I had to be quite adaptable for each feed - judging which one looked hungriest/sleepiest/most likely to wait quietly and feeding accordingly while the bottle lolled out of the other ones mouth!

When I was on my own in the first 8 weeks, and afterwards if I was out somewhere, I sat on the floor back to the sofa, knees up and apart and fed diagnonally across each leg. It was quite uncomfortable, but not as bad as actually being pregnant with twins wink

Good luck!

SuchProspects Sat 06-Nov-10 17:00:08

I mainly used car seats - mine seemed to eat quite well in them, so I assume they liked them. We did use extra material to support them better.

Other methods included: Them lying on the floor partly propped up by a horseshoe shaped travel pillow each. For a while we had a couple of sleep wedges (that I believe have recently been linked to SIDS - so maybe not such a good idea) that were quite good for feeding them in. When we were out and about I'd do them in their buggy or one at a time. As they got older (4 months+?) I often used to just lie them flat on the floor.

Didn't have another child to worry about at the same time though.

mistybluehills Mon 08-Nov-10 12:31:37

I know exactly how you feel and remember dreading my husband finishing paternity leave. Don't worry about being on your own, in no time you will have all your little systems in place to make everything easier for yourself. Don't forget how tired you are from the birth and lack of sleep, that will wear off soon and you will find it much easier to whizz about.

I had 2 x chicco relax and play bouncers from ebay because the height of the chair back is fully adjustable and a real help.

If you have a 4 yr old then I would highly recommend a highchair with a reclining back and adjustable height ( I had 2 x chicco from ebay). You can move them from room to room and keep the twins out of the way - but the downside is they take up a fair bit of space. With the reclining backs you can feed them at whatever angle they prefer. They can nap in them and watch baby dvd's, play with toys etc. I also think this can save your back when you are picking them up and putting down etc.

Another good idea someone gave me was to put some toys or a baby gym inside a big travel cot so that the twins can play without your older one disturbing them until they are big enough to play all together.

You'll feel so much better once you are in the habit of doing it yourself and you have everything close by that you need during the day.

Oh, and don't forget to save some DVD's or Cbeebies for feeding times to distract your older one. Try putting some favourite snacks in a little box and saving it for feeding times so your older one is busy munching at the same time.

londonlottie Mon 08-Nov-10 13:33:45

Message withdrawn

ohforsomesleep Mon 08-Nov-10 21:20:37

This brings back memories, a bean bag was ideal as it was firm enough to support them from all sides and you can mould the bean bag into a little chair. I used to sit on the floor or on the settee and lean over to feed them.

At about four weeks I found that with rolled up blankets either side of them I could feed them in the bouncy chairs whilst I sat on the beanbag.

Good luck, I promise you it gets easier in a matter of months xxx

jellybeans Mon 08-Nov-10 21:22:41

I used a V shape pillow and had one each side of it until they could sit in the bouncy chairs, then I sat in the middle holding a bottle each side. I propped the bouncers up abit on the sofa so they were abit higher up.

Jajas Mon 08-Nov-10 21:24:00

Half moon cushions on the kitchen table, one baby propped on each cushion, bottle in each hand, me unconscious on the table inbetween them grin!

earwicga Mon 15-Nov-10 21:51:19

Rolled up towel (hand towel I think) around their heads as a support, in bouncer chairs.

deedar Tue 16-Nov-10 16:03:56

Are they very small? Mine were term but only 5/6lbs and for quite a long time I could feed both at the same time nestled between my thighs! Very easy to make sure they are secure and surprisingly comfy.

neverknowinglyunderdressed Tue 30-Nov-10 12:30:10

I found that podee handsfree bottles were a lifesaver for me. I used them from 5 weeks old and the babies seemed to like them. Less milk running down faces etc. Made things much easier, although they dont seem that popular, which i find strange confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now