Talk

Advanced search

Please help with my totally unscientific survey.

(24 Posts)
EvilTwins Tue 19-Oct-10 21:52:15

If you have identical twins, do you like marmite?

charleymouse Tue 19-Oct-10 22:02:33

Yes I do. DT does not though.

GibberingGinger Tue 19-Oct-10 22:13:40

Have non identical twins (probably though they look very similar - might test one day) and do not like marmite. Don't know if this helps. Whats the theory? I'm really curious now....grin

Poppyella Wed 20-Oct-10 10:35:27

I have id twin girls and yes I like marmite, but they don't. Why??? x

EvilTwins Wed 20-Oct-10 22:35:05

The theory (non scientific, but confirmed 100% on a night out with 7 mums of id twins) is that those who like marmite are more likely to do have twins. This is because (bear with me) one theory (not mine, a real one) about id twins is that many pregnancies begin as twins, but that some do not continue as multiple pregnancies. Those that do continue do so because the mother's body is better prepared to carry two babies. One of the things we're supposed to do whilst trying for/carrying a baby is to take folic acid (vit B). Marmite is full of vitamin B. So those of us who eat lots of marmite are more likely to have twins.

I'm hoping the marmite people will send me freebies if I reveal the results of my brilliant (mostly drunken) research.

One of my id twins likes marmite. The other doesn't.

hellswelshy Thu 21-Oct-10 09:50:31

I love marmite, have identical twin girls who both love it too...

BibiThree Thu 21-Oct-10 09:51:48

I have idential twins, none of us like marmite.

LauraNorder Thu 21-Oct-10 09:54:11

I don't have ID twins or non ID twins and I LUUUUURRRVE marmite. grin

terryble Thu 21-Oct-10 17:23:07

Have ID twins. Love marmite. At one point all I could eat during pregnancy was crumpets with marmite.

Twins now seem to like crumpets with marmite.

hattyyellow Thu 21-Oct-10 17:36:59

I love Marmite and I have ID twins! .

Seven mothers of ID twins! That's amazing, did you meet at a twins club? I've only ever met 3 other families with ID twins, all the others have always been non ID and I was the only mum of ID twins at our twins club.

I remember reading that women with better nutrition are indeed more likely to have twins. And that twins are less common in wartime or times of famine (will try and find link for this) as women have much poorer nutrition.

Anyone love sweet potato? I don't but I did eat a lot of dairy when I concieved my twins...

"No one is quite sure why, but the Yoruba tribe in West Africa has the highest rate of twinning in the world. A study concluded that the mother's diet was the cause, being high in cassava, a type of yam or sweet potato. The peelings of this vegetable are thought to contain a chemical that causes hyperovulation. In addition, a 2006 study found that women who consume dairy are five times as likely to have twins".

SecrestName999 Thu 21-Oct-10 17:39:36

I hate marmite...and have id twins.

EvilTwins Thu 21-Oct-10 20:44:41

Thanks for that info hatty - I'd heard the yam thing - a friend of mine is desperate to have twins (fool) and was trying to find out about yam suppliments. Unfortunately, she has a family history of breast cancer and so was advised against taking anything which meddles with ovulation (or something)

I did meet the other mums at our twins club - we have a massive one where I live. My ID girls spend a lot of time with two other sets of ID girls, and they were all born within 4 weeks of each other. We're hoping to get them on the stage...

kathryn2804 Sun 24-Oct-10 15:29:44

We all love marmite :-)

thingamajig Thu 28-Oct-10 22:14:46

I am expecting ID twins and I love marmite, and have been eating loads recently as marmite toast is all my DD(nearly 3 ) will eat at the mo.

nothingbyhalves Mon 08-Nov-10 17:28:37

hate marmite, identical twin boys. dh likes marmite tho.

verytellytubby Wed 17-Nov-10 17:04:29

I love marmite and have identical twin boys. They love marmite too.

Greedymonster Sun 21-Nov-10 12:34:31

I have ID twin boys and love marmite, but don't actually eat it that much, and couldn't stand it when I was pregnant. The boys hate it.

throckenholt Mon 22-Nov-10 07:50:18

I have ID twins and like marmite. My id twins like marmite too (one in particular) but my other DS doesn't (only person in the house who doesn't).

minimisa Tue 23-Nov-10 14:12:43

I have ID twin boys and love marmite. I also had a real beetroot fetish around the time I conceived and I think that's also high in the folic.....!

Egg Sat 27-Nov-10 17:47:40

My twins are not ID, but I do love marmite.

DS1 is mad about marmite, but twins are allergic to celery, so never have marmite.

I used to drink a lot of milk though.

livinginthehills5 Thu 02-Dec-10 23:53:52

I hate marmite , my identical twin girls love it

harrygracejessica Fri 03-Dec-10 15:19:00

ID twins and i HATE marmite - the girls like marmite cheese though!

jjkm Wed 08-Dec-10 22:00:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MerryMarigold Wed 08-Dec-10 22:03:30

Why is it to do with ID twins and not non-ID, if it is to do with the body being able to carry them? [OK, so it is drunken research you're doing!]

I have non-ID twins and I LOVE marmite!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: