Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is life like in Munich?

(38 Posts)
Chandra Wed 03-Aug-05 15:22:34

To rock the boat a bit more the option of moving to Munich has come up this week. I know the first thing we would have to do before moving would be to sell DS and pay for a very good German course. But I was wondering what is it like to live overthere, how is it when you have a small child, how is the school system, the property prices, the expat community, is people friendly?

Maybe too basic questions but any clue on that would help us to make out minds will be highly appreciated.

Nightynight Tue 16-Aug-05 17:31:54

err chandra did I misunderstand you intend to sell your ds...?

Im in Mch at the moment. It is a big, vibrant regional capital. There's always lots going on, and poeple have more fun than in England. Excellent facilities for sport, cycling, going out, swimming & sailing and walking in freshwater lakes fed by Alpine streams etc etc etc. Im hoping to take the children to a firework display at the Olympia park this thursday, complete with fairground and market for ethnic clothes jewelry etc.

Salaries are good, and property costs about the same as in the south east of England. School system is good I believe, they have the 11+ though, so your child gets sent to grammar or 2ndry modern. Public transport is cheap.

It is a very international city, and people are mostly friendly, but you have to be on your guard.

Out of Mch, property is cheaper, but it is v traditional and I am told, hard to be accepted in the rural areas.

There is a lot of beer drinking.

Dont know about the "expat" community, by which I assume you mean fellow immigrants. but there is loads of English language life here, as english seems to have been elected the international language of choice.

Chandra Wed 17-Aug-05 01:14:47

Yes, selling DS, good language courses are verrrrrry expensive! and it will save us some money in school fees

I like the idea of being in a very international city, and hopefully my English would seem a bit better once I'm out of England . I was there around March, I believe, but it was snowing most of the days so didn't get to see much people around because we all were freezing.

Thanks for that Nightynight

Nightynight Wed 17-Aug-05 18:47:20

no, you dont want to judge Mch weather by last year! We had Easter under snow in France, it was even worse here in Mch. Its not always that bad though.

Having said that, it does seem to rain an awful lot!

I did a teach yourself course to top up my evening class German, but you do learn fast once you are here. My company provides 2 hours a week of tuition as a benefit, which I appreciate v much. If you or dh is offered a job here, you could try to bargain for German lessons?

A man from north Germany once told me that Germans regard Bavarians in the same way as Americans regard Texans. Your average Bavarian drinks an impossible amount of beer, speaks a language that noone else understands, owns a traditional costume verging on kinky that he or she wears on every possible occasion (yes, its lederhosen country, and tits spilling out of dirndl frocks for the women) and has a strong feeling of regional pride. Mere foreigners can only admire, open-mouthed.

Chandra Wed 17-Aug-05 20:29:18

Oh dear! just after learning English in Texas I end up living in Yorkshire and now you are telling me I'm heading in the same direction going to Munich??? what a mix! I will never manage to speak a language in its purest form!

This lairy is moving ome!

cod Wed 17-Aug-05 20:30:02

Message withdrawn

cod Wed 17-Aug-05 20:31:29

Message withdrawn

cod Wed 17-Aug-05 20:31:46

Message withdrawn

Chandra Wed 17-Aug-05 20:34:16

Cod you are convincing me, unfortunately I believe I don't share your language talent.... I have been taking English classes since I was 3 yrs old

What were you doing overthere ?

cod Wed 17-Aug-05 20:35:44

Message withdrawn

ClodaghR Wed 17-Aug-05 20:36:42

I lived in Munich for 6 months and absolutely loved it. I was there from March to September - summer was lovely. Fantastic rail links to all over Europe so my weekends were spent travelling. Its a beautiful city with loads to do in it. I lived in Schwabing which is in the North of the City about 4 kms out and it was a lovely area. We often went down the the Austrian alps as we are in to hill walking.

ClodaghR Wed 17-Aug-05 20:37:28

only downside and must disagree with Cod on this - i hated the food.

foxinsocks Wed 17-Aug-05 20:37:32

I worked in Munich for a bit and loved it but as I was single with no kids then, I couldn't really say how family friendly it was!

I used to hire a bike and cycle through some of the forests they have around there. It's very pretty and as nightynight said, it's very much an international city.

Chandra Wed 17-Aug-05 20:39:40

mmmm, I'm starting to dribble... it sounds very good!

foxinsocks Wed 17-Aug-05 20:41:18

I loved the food but then I love meat and if you love meat, you're pretty much OK (but I hate fancy food like French ponsey stuff)

ClodaghR Wed 17-Aug-05 20:42:06

I lived on Spetzle

cod Wed 17-Aug-05 20:42:35

Message withdrawn

cod Wed 17-Aug-05 20:43:03

Message withdrawn

ClodaghR Wed 17-Aug-05 20:46:27

hmm maybe I did like the food. I used to love the mustard. It was the Kartoffel that i hated. There was also Knodel - yuck.

cod Wed 17-Aug-05 20:47:25

Message withdrawn

cod Wed 17-Aug-05 20:47:40

Message withdrawn

cod Wed 17-Aug-05 20:48:25

Message withdrawn

ClodaghR Wed 17-Aug-05 20:50:15

I was an aupair there and was expected to be in by 10 pm on weeknights. Weekends were my own though. Met my husband there.

foxinsocks Wed 17-Aug-05 20:51:19

mmmr leberkasse and weissbeir mmmmmm

ClodaghR Wed 17-Aug-05 20:52:41

now you have got me in a real reminiscing frame of mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now