Advanced search

Nmecalling

(42 Posts)
sallystrawberry Sun 10-Jul-05 20:49:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sallystrawberry Sun 10-Jul-05 20:50:00

KatyMac Sun 10-Jul-05 20:52:20

I think - I would expect the teacher to talk to the other teacher but not within the sight of the children involved.

To make a fuss (at the time) might make it more important and substantial to your DS (and give the other child more power)

sallystrawberry Sun 10-Jul-05 20:53:42

KatyMac Sun 10-Jul-05 20:54:47

Could you bring it up wih her privately?

sallystrawberry Sun 10-Jul-05 21:01:07

KatyMac Sun 10-Jul-05 21:04:34

It's hard - DD is really suffering atm, cos of indirect bullying

you can't be a ballet dancer if you have brown curly hair
Princesses can't be brown and neither can faries

It's very subtle and very frustrating

sallystrawberry Sun 10-Jul-05 21:07:07

KatyMac Sun 10-Jul-05 21:09:14

7 and a half and she is a sensative little soul

Apparently she looks like a boy, is growing a moustash (sp), she is too thin to be a girl and her brown skin is ugly...and so is her curly hair

It makes me scream and school says that she can't be being bullied as she never plays with any older children

sallystrawberry Sun 10-Jul-05 21:15:31

KatyMac Sun 10-Jul-05 21:19:14

The village school is basically it - but I am happy with lots of stuff they do - but I told OFSTED (a fortnight ago) that their equal opps was cr*p

The child was being minded by me...not anymore....but I'm trying to improve DD's body image by starting a scrapbook of positive images

The school has asked me what they can do - i just can't give them a good solution

sallystrawberry Sun 10-Jul-05 21:26:48

KatyMac Sun 10-Jul-05 21:28:54

Aw Bless
The school still have a multicultural 'box' - this is so sad in the 21stC this should be integrated into the whole curriculum

sallystrawberry Sun 10-Jul-05 21:40:12

KatyMac Sun 10-Jul-05 21:42:02

Only nonwhite in 4/6 villages......apart from DH of course

They are trying (Handa's surprise etc) but they just need to do better - their disability awareness is crp too - but they are trying

sallystrawberry Sun 10-Jul-05 21:51:40

KatyMac Sun 10-Jul-05 21:56:52

Nope - My mum took her to my aunties school (headmistress) in Finchley.......they have over 20 languages spoken in that school. DD was facinated but found it too big....one year had twice the no in the whole of DD's school

All her cousins are in london too - the best we have is a mindees sisters are mixed race too - but they won't play with a @little' girl like Posy

KatyMac Sun 10-Jul-05 22:10:45

Sorry SS this was your thread - I've kind of taken over with my DD. I'm sorry
I just get so cross with them all

sallystrawberry Sun 10-Jul-05 22:30:59

hercules Sun 10-Jul-05 22:33:38

Teachers have to report anything like this and follow it through. It's not good enough.

MarsLady Sun 10-Jul-05 22:42:51

Katymac, if you CAT me I have a book for your DD. Full of black princesses!

sallystrawberry Sun 10-Jul-05 23:06:51

Blu Sun 10-Jul-05 23:20:29

I agree with Hercules - buut she's the one who knows what she's talking about because she's a teacher (I think).

I would send a note to the teacher saying 'Following the incident in which my ds was called '*' by "***' from '**' school, I would like to know what action has been taken and what the resonse has been from the other school.

This has recently happened to DS: being called chocolate face and being told he can't be a prince. (I was choking over it on a recent thread 'is it ok to be racist in a predominantly white area' or something.

And about the books - it's all v well your ds and dds being given books where the princesses are brown, (as in Marlslady's book) but just as important is that all the other kids are rading those, too.

Ask to see the list of intended book purchases, and insist they add some which give a more realistic image of our world. Agaian, put it in writing - 'I am wondering what the school is intending to do about the lack of multi-cultural books in the library'. And not books specifically about Diwali and africa, books which show a multi-cultural 21c Britatin.

Good luck - and iI really feel for you. It is unbearable to think of this stuff being aimed at your children.

sallystrawberry Sun 10-Jul-05 23:24:45

SofiaAmes Mon 11-Jul-05 00:08:13

I'm so sorry that you are having this problem. I think you should definitely follow it up. Nothing will change if people are expected to say that it's not acceptable behavior out loud.
I grew up in a racially mixed environment (first fully bussed school district in the usa) and was really horrified when I went off to a private east coast summer school when I was 16, to find out that that's not how the rest of the world was. At least it makes me feel better about my decision NOT to send my (not multi racial) ds (4) to private school as I don't want him to grow up thinking the whole world is rich and white. As a matter of fact, at the moment, he is torn between wanting to grow up to be japanese (only country where it's considered polite to slurp your food) and black (not totally clear on the origins of this one, but think it has something to do with after school club and the lady who runs it whom he adores).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now