Talk

Advanced search

Heat Rash Question

(12 Posts)
likklemum Thu 30-Jun-05 23:09:48

My very mixed race (white/asian/black-caribbean/chinese) ds (11weeks) has been suffering quite badly from heat rash . Sorry to sound ignorant, but i didn't forsee this due to his ethnic mix. Is it just to do with aclimatising (sorry bout spelling!) to the temperature? Is it likely to improve with age? Is this just another baby rash? Am having to bath him in Oilatum and use Diprobase from the docs. I havent been using suncream because i worry wether it will react to his , obviously sensitive skin, and although he doesnt spend any length of time in the sun, is going a bit darker (although could this just be his natural skin tone developing?). Really dont feel very clued up. Any advice?

sallystrawberry Thu 30-Jun-05 23:10:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sallystrawberry Thu 30-Jun-05 23:12:57

sallystrawberry Thu 30-Jun-05 23:14:34

expatinscotland Thu 30-Jun-05 23:15:23

Our DD has heat rash on the back of her neck where her hair hangs down - and she will NOT let me put it in a ponytail or bunches or use grips to clip it up.

Have no idea how to get rid of it, though.

sallystrawberry Thu 30-Jun-05 23:18:27

sallystrawberry Thu 30-Jun-05 23:20:27

expatinscotland Thu 30-Jun-05 23:23:49

I have some cornstarch I might sprinkle on her. I know it's prickly heat b/c I've had it loads of times myself, and she scratches and says 'itchy, itchy'.

likklemum Thu 30-Jun-05 23:27:03

Thanks for that. His rash started on his forehead and spread all over his scalp (he has lots of hair), the back of his neck, then his shoulders and chest and a few little bumps on his upper arms. Docs gave me Aqueous cream at first, but this made it worse and when i went back (after weekend) his ears seemed to pick up an infection from it (got cream for that too!). His ears cleared up until yesterday when i noticed they were scabby and stinky behind again.
Like the website suggests, he is a very sweaty baby, so i don't overdress him at all. Hopefully he'll just grow out of it then.

likklemum Thu 30-Jun-05 23:30:15

Where do you get corn starch from? Yes, ds was always rubbing his face and ears so i guessed it was itchy for him too. The website suggests powder, but hasn't talc been discovered to be carcenagenic these days?

expatinscotland Thu 30-Jun-05 23:32:42

I get mine sent from the US. They don't use talc in baby dusting powder there, so Johnson's makes a baby corn starch. Haven't see it here, though, but it's excellent for keeping the sweat down. DD is also a sweaty child and she can't tolerate heat well.

likklemum Thu 30-Jun-05 23:42:29

Sorry to ask this, but if i put it in his hair, will it look like dandruff?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now