Talk

Advanced search

Maybe this should be under behaviour. Why are my new friends all foreign?

(7 Posts)
Starbear Thu 10-Sep-09 09:30:20

I'm mixed race Pakistani/Spanish. I have noticed that the friends that I'm close to from my son's nursery have parents from other parts of the world or foreign e.g an American and half Iranian. My son has started school this week and it seems to have happened again the mum's who have approached me/I've approached are foreign too! Russian, Polish & Korean. I love it. BUT why not the white Anglo-Saxon Mum's. What is it about my behaviour? OR should I get off MN & do some work grin

Pitchounette Thu 10-Sep-09 09:57:43

Message withdrawn

Starbear Thu 10-Sep-09 10:03:04

But I've only said 'Hello' smile

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 10-Sep-09 10:07:02

I found a similar thing having moved from London to a small devon town. Nearly all the people I've become friends with are people who have moved here from somewhere else. Or if they are from here, they have spent some time living away and moved back.

I agree with Pitchounette - it's to do with having similar experiences. It's not that I haven't approached/been friendly with locals - we just end up having not so much in common.

buttercreamfrosting Thu 10-Sep-09 10:10:28

I'm white (tho not Anglo-Saxon smile) and I'm now trying to think if I have any 'WAS' friends, from school or otherwise! Never really thought about it before....should also probably get off MN and do some work grin

CarmenSanDiego Thu 10-Sep-09 10:12:59

Living in the US, I find I click more quickly with other Brits, Australians and South Africans.

I have found a few Americans seem like they can't actually be bothered to listen to me - like it takes too much effort to understand a different accent so they just nod and smile then turn to someone else.

Agree with Pitchounette though - it's a matter of finding people who have similar experiences and are more aware of the outside world. Often, I find people here haven't travelled at all or even have a passport.

Starbear Thu 10-Sep-09 12:30:37

I probably have more patience with foreign accents as I have grown up figuring out what foreigners are trying to say, so I generally understand quickly and give them a little more time.. I also have assumed experiences with other mixed parentage people. Hey ho maybe I should find something more important to think about

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now