Talk

Advanced search

finding out dp's genetic heritage

(6 Posts)
Cha Wed 06-Apr-05 09:55:38

It's dp's 40th birthday in August and I would love to get him that genetic test that tells you where in Africa his ancesters hail from. Or not, as the case may be. He has often talked about wanting to know more about his family history and when we saw the test that Moyra Stuart did on BBC2's 'who do you think you are?' he said he would love to do one himself. Where do I go to and how much does it cost? Anyone done one themselves or know someone who has? I know for W Indian people,it's better to go down the maternal line to find Africa.

otto Wed 06-Apr-05 10:14:08

I'd have a look at the BBC website. It had a link to the programme and advice on how to go about tracing relatives, so probably has details on how to get this done too.

tamum Wed 06-Apr-05 10:20:46

I think the people you want are Oxford Ancestors . There are other people who do it, although I don't know if they offer a commercial service. Let me know if you have problems and I will try and find out.

Cha Thu 07-Apr-05 21:17:52

Wow - just checked out that website, tamum. Looks like what we need, though costs a bit! Still, it is his 40th. Will have to start saving...

motherinferior Thu 07-Apr-05 21:21:32

Can't you write a piece on it, and set it against tax or try for a freebie...?

Cha Thu 07-Apr-05 21:35:07

Good idea. Will also ask one of my editors if he wants to do an article on it. Set it against tax tho - what does that mean?? I never earn enough to pay tax!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now