Talk

Advanced search

Untitled

(16 Posts)
MrsMattie Sat 23-Aug-08 15:02:58

Hi all.

Can anyone reccommend a good book/s for the under fives on being mixed race?

thanks

misi Sat 23-Aug-08 17:53:44

what sort of book do you mean?

MrsMattie Sat 23-Aug-08 17:57:40

My son is 3 yrs old and starting to ask lots of questions / make lots of observations about his mummy being white / daddy being black - what does that make him? etc etc. Thought it would be nice to have some stories about other mixed race children to help him get his head around it all.

misi Sat 23-Aug-08 18:07:45

ah I see. my sister has not had this at all, her 5 kids are all quite dark as daddy is very dark, but their 'colour' has never come up, well except one time at school, one nasty little girl called my neice a black ba*rd, which my sister went up the wall about but it didn't bother my neice really.

will ask her if she has any ideas.

MrsMattie Sat 23-Aug-08 19:44:29

Thanks misi. My son is very light skinned and is struggling a bit to get his head around it all. He identifies with white children and thinks brown skinned people (like daddy) are 'different to me and you, mummy!', which technically, they are - as he is practically the same colour as me (white!) However, obviously at some point (when?) he needs to understand his heritage and ethnic make up. Our dilemma is that while we want him to be raised in a conscious way, proud and confident of who he is, we also don't want to overload him with a load of stuff about race at such a young age.

misi Mon 25-Aug-08 15:17:06

I have spoken to my sister, she doesn't know of any books or stories, the ones she has are either about black kids or white kids. she will ask my BIL's family as he has loads of sisters and a brother all of whom except one have mixed race kids!!!

misi Thu 28-Aug-08 21:14:05

my sisters MIL said she got a book from america as she never found anything any good over here. she said she suggested looking at an online bookshop from america for ideas on books but thats all she got (my sis and her MIL are not overly talkative to each other grin)

I looked at amazon.com and viola"!!;
www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=mixed+race+children&x=14& y=14

hope this is of some use

harpomarx Thu 28-Aug-08 21:29:35

doesn't your library have any suitable books, Mrs Mattie?

I like books where the characters happen to be black or mixed race iyswim and there are quite a few of them if you look around. I think approaching it in this way helps children feel that they are part of a world which is full of different colours which are not in themselves important. Having said that, dd does really like some books which make race more of an issue (some of the Grace books and I love my Hair spring to mind, but these are quite girly). She also liked

off the top of my head I remember having this book from the library, which is about being part of a mixed race family - I'm sure there are others.

more interesting books here, dd had the Sesame Street one and enjoyed it.

MrsMattie Thu 28-Aug-08 21:31:23

Thanks harpomax. Local library is crap! I ordered Floella's book from Amazon just recently, actually.

harpomarx Thu 28-Aug-08 21:32:30

shame about your library Mrs Mattie - are you in a very white area? I think you should get on their case and get them to get some decent books in!

MrsMattie Thu 28-Aug-08 21:38:03

No. not a white area at all (north London), just a really dusty old library full of ancient books! I've mentioned it to them before and they say they'll look into it and then never do.

harpomarx Thu 28-Aug-08 21:45:34

blimey, I thought you Londoners would have it made! I'm in the sticks (but quite a mixed area) and we have a great children's library.

MrsMattie Thu 28-Aug-08 21:47:41

Underfunded London councils, and all that! They talk the talk but rarely walk the walk. Even DS's old nursery had a pathetic range of books and toys - not reflective of the mix of kids in the area at all. His new nursery seem to be more clued up, though - fingers crossed!

misi Thu 28-Aug-08 22:52:32

my BIL said today that if you don't make anything out of it it don't become a problem, which has worked for his 5 but is not easy to do I imagine. my eldest niece (9 near 10) today said that she can be like daddy in the summer and like mummy in the winter, she likes to sit in the sun to go darker grin and then laughed. but as my nieces and nephews have never really said about colour, it is not an issue so can't really say or help much more I am afraid

notimetoshop Thu 28-Aug-08 23:32:27

Frances Lincoln publishers publish a lot of ethnic minority / mixed race books. We have one called My Two Grannies, it's by Floella Benjamin (remember her!?).

savoycabbage Fri 29-Aug-08 10:28:22

Hi, I have got lots and lots of books about mixed race children.

there are some books in the 'fairy tales for non-white children' thread.

We have got this book which is a non-fiction book about skin colour and why there are differences in a more scientific way. My dd is four and she loves it. We aren't that keen as I sort of feel like it draws her attention to the differences between us but she asks for it at least once a week and she is the mixed race one not me!

My favourites are

double the love

where's gran

They don't mention race at all, they are just ordinary stories.

I get stuff from American Amazon too as they have lot's more choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now