Talk

Advanced search

"Why must mixed-race women always be tragic?"

(6 Posts)
franch Fri 04-Feb-05 13:22:03

Article in the Guardian yesterday

yingers74 Fri 04-Feb-05 14:43:57

Let's just focus on the fact that these women are NOT tragic, they have strength, drive and ambition which has made them into a success.

franch Fri 04-Feb-05 14:46:21

Absolutely. I think that's what the writer was getting at?

yingers74 Fri 04-Feb-05 15:15:28

I wonder why a poor one parent upbringing equates to a tragic one. I know plenty of people who had very happy childhoods albeit with an absent parent and/or not much money. If you are loved as I am sure many of these women were by their mums then who's to say any part of their lives were tragic. Am i even making sense?

franch Fri 04-Feb-05 15:18:01

Yes, I see where you're coming from yingers. I don't think Helen Kolawole is saying that single parent upbringing = tragic, just that it's one of the things that's always emphasised about mixed-race women as part of the "against-the-odds" image?

PinkArjuna Sun 03-Apr-05 16:07:07

I wonder about that. Though my little boy will have an absent white father. I wonder how the odds would be flipped in that sense. Do you think it makes as good news??? I think these women show real strength though it does annoy me how the media always hypes Halle berry etc... how tragic can it be to be so successful?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: