Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

am i being overly sensitive ???

(5 Posts)
satc Sun 23-Sep-07 15:56:37

Am I am being overly sensitive or is there something here. I am chinese and dh is english, we have been married for over 5 years. I get along fine with my PIL, his bro & wife. Every Christmas without fail I’ll get a book from my sil and the theme of these books are always abt the lives of migrants - she has given me white teeth, brick lane, wild swan, to name a few.

I am beginning to feel that it’s how she sees me, it’s like I have no other interest and she does not see me beyond my colour. Don’t get me wrong, I liked all the books and they are all good read but they do all seem to have a similar theme/story line.

Do you think that she does not see me beyond the fact that I am of a different race than her? I do feel that she has somehow pigeon-holed me in a category/type and that’s all I am. Now I just can’t wait to see what book she’s giving me this Christmas !!

Heated Sun 23-Sep-07 16:02:13

Time to select a book & return the favour methinks! Now what would be appropriate...?

Cancerian Sun 23-Sep-07 20:40:52

LOL, sorry not laughing at you but I, too would also think there was a common theme here. You know I think she is well meaning and often people just get it wrong. I am black british and for some reason sometimes I would get people or other origins start telling me they like reggae and rap music. Or can I dance like beyonce? My thoughts are that is rather nice for you,but why do you feel you need to tell me or why would I be able to dance like beyonce?. The answer is sometimes as you suspect it is about non-acceptance. I agree they don't view you other than a colour/origin first, and like my example the books is a means of saying I can identify with you and your people. Words fail me...it is just simply painful and cringe worthy!

Rachmumoftwo Sun 23-Sep-07 20:55:03

Why not do a Christmas list and show it to her under the pretence of asking her to drop a few hints to your DH. This way she may get you something from the list instead. She probably just doesn't have a clue what to get you and means well.

satc Mon 24-Sep-07 14:31:29

thanks for all your input, yes i am sure she means well but the recurring common theme is just so annoying hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now