Talk

Advanced search

Timing of circumcision

(316 Posts)
sunhat88 Sun 09-Apr-17 09:10:08

Hi,

My baby boy is due soon and he will be circumcised. (Please no circumcision debate on this thread). Those of you who have had you baby boys circumcised... what is your opinion on the best age to have it done? Also what was your experience of their recovery?

Thank you smile

PhilODox Sun 09-Apr-17 09:22:39

God made man in his own image.
If God is perfect, so is man.
So why would god want people to alter his work by chopping pieces off?

Occadodo Sun 09-Apr-17 09:24:25

I'd wait until he could decide if he wanted the surgery!

scaevola Sun 09-Apr-17 09:25:35

The best age is when the doctor has run out of other treatment options, and immediately then whenever it is. Because if the purpose is to prevent permanent .impairment, then you need it to happen as soon as that need is identified. And I donMt know what current waiting lists are.

It is actually easier when the boy has enough understanding of bodily biology to know that sometimes other treatments don't work well enough, and that surgery is the only option.

BertrandRussell Sun 09-Apr-17 09:25:38

A minimum of 18. Years, not months.

angeldiver Sun 09-Apr-17 09:25:42

sad poor boy.
Something I would only do if medically necessary.

I would suggest whenever he gets it done it's going to hurt, so no time is a good time. Alternatively, whenever, because it'll hurt whether he's 2 weeks or 2 months.

WitchSharkadder Sun 09-Apr-17 09:29:52

You can't post a thread on here about circumcision and not have the vast majority of replies telling you not to do it. And rightly so, it is a barbaric, outdated practice that needs to stop. I have 2 sons (about to be three) who have been circumcised for medical reasons. It was very painful and distressing for them, more so than the re-calibration and meatotomy operations they went through. I would never ever put my children through it for purely cosmetic/religious reasons. Don't do it.

AndreasAnswer Sun 09-Apr-17 09:30:15

My friend was circumcised as a baby and has bled profusely every time he has had sex. It has really affected his life and he is unhappily single and childless in his 40s. His parents were not observant, either. I know you will ignore this post but I felt compelled to share it regardless.

ReggaeShark Sun 09-Apr-17 09:31:56

Take a stand and don't do it. Barbaric.

whatwoulddexterdo Sun 09-Apr-17 09:33:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PurpleDaisies Sun 09-Apr-17 09:34:35

Why are you having it done?

I thought those who did it for religious reasons had it done at a certain age but it doesn't sound like that's the case for you.

One word. Don't.

Occadodo Sun 09-Apr-17 09:34:52

MrsBungle Sun 09-Apr-17 09:38:36

"Recovery" why on earth would anyone put their child through something they need to "recover" from for a non-essential reason? How awful. My ds has had 3 operations and each one was horrendous watching him distressed and in pain.

thecoldnever Sun 09-Apr-17 09:39:11

Hi op to answer your question, I read it's best to do it 48hours after birth or within a week of birth. According to what I read online it's best to do it early is to minimise bleeding and it heals fast then if you wait after the child is older. I'm having a boy in June and I will circumcise him.

Macarena1990 Sun 09-Apr-17 09:41:48

As soon as possible. My son was done at 3 weeks, healed nicely and actually cried more when he had his jabs.

monkeyfacegrace Sun 09-Apr-17 09:42:36

thecoldnever Sun 09-Apr-17 09:43:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whatwoulddexterdo Sun 09-Apr-17 09:46:51

Macarena1990 Sun 09-Apr-17 09:46:52

Mumsnet really is the pits sometimes.

Billions of men are circumcised throughout the world. Those that I know are perfectly happy, proud to be and really don't get what the fuss is about 🙄🙄

SorrelSoup Sun 09-Apr-17 09:47:23

Poor boy.

Hoppinggreen Sun 09-Apr-17 09:48:16

RoccoW14 Sun 09-Apr-17 09:48:16

whatwoulddexterdo Sun 09-Apr-17 09:53:34

whatwoulddexterdo Sun 09-Apr-17 09:55:31

Incidentally glad to see you are asking Mumsnet these medical questions!!!
After all we are medically qualified

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 09-Apr-17 09:59:22

Macarena1990

They had no choice and know no difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now