Talk

Advanced search

Mixed race?

(6 Posts)
Level75 Wed 21-Dec-16 23:16:49

Not even sure if I'm in the right thread. My DH's dad is 3/5 Chinese, DH half that/white and DD half that again. My DH looks mixed race but not loads. DD not so much at all. On forms where you fill in background I'm inclined to put mixed for her but I don't know if that's right. At what point do people think you stop being mixed race?

Level75 Wed 21-Dec-16 23:17:25

Sorry, DH dad 3/4 Chinese, typo

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Wed 21-Dec-16 23:23:09

I used to help school children fill in these forms for a study years ago, and we used to puzzle over what to put, if they were say Turkish/Malay parents born in UK identified as white (white other wasn't a big thing back then). The most important thing is usually what you see yourself as, there's no technical definition you are breaching. So, if your dd is mixed race to you and your family then I'd put that, she may put what she thinks in the future depending how she identifies herself.

tribpot Wed 21-Dec-16 23:30:06

Yes, you can put anything you like down on those forms. There should be an option for 'prefer not to say' if you want, but certainly no-one is going to come around and say 'you've put white but actually she is one sixteenth Chinese' or whatever. (Or vice versa).

OneADayAndThenWhat Wed 21-Dec-16 23:31:04

Interesting question. I don't know the answer but I'd have thought it was something you could just decide yourself. I don't think it's something that gets checked IYSWIM. I don't think it's just to do with looks.

My kids have one non-white grandparent who must have very strong genes as they all have her characteristics. 😂 My family are all fair with blue or green eyes whereas day DC are all dark, with dark hair and dark brown eyes. We don't match at all.

Misstic Wed 11-Jan-17 18:02:48

I assume mixed race. You DH is mixed race.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now