Racism.

(15 Posts)
Jessica204041 Sun 17-Jul-16 14:40:36

I have two children, a boy who is nearly 3 and a girl who is 8 months. My partner is black. We live in a area which isn't very multicultural and it's very hard for us because a lot of people are racist. Some of my family no longer speak to me. I don't have many friends. We are desperately trying to move somewhere better. Does anyone have a similar experience?

ApocalypseSlough Sun 17-Jul-16 14:52:36

I'm really sorry. That's horrible. Where are you now? Mumsnetters will know the nearest multicultural centre, so Devon> Bristol/ Cardiff, Horsham> Brighton etc. London is definitely multicultural but it does also have its problems- cost!

Jessica204041 Sun 17-Jul-16 14:56:50

I am in the north east. Hartlepool. Very horrible place to be. We have noticed when we have been to other parts of the country that we can pretty much get on with our lives without being judged or looked at or things said to us. We have been to London, Birmingham, even Newcastle is much better than this town. It's very small and people are not welcoming to other cultures and races. It's very hard. We are hoping to move very soon.

ApocalypseSlough Sun 17-Jul-16 16:14:43

So not knowing the area but looking at a map wink
Newcastle and Leeds are more multicultural and not ridiculously far for your nicer relatives.

Rowanhart Sun 17-Jul-16 16:17:26

Hi Jessica. We're not far-just in Durham and thanks to high student population etc much more multicultural.

I'm very sorry you're having these experiences and if you'd ever like to come through to Durham for a look around happy to meet for a coffee brew.

ApocalypseSlough Sun 17-Jul-16 16:22:14

Durham is really lovely! I suppose coming from London it seems very white to me, but it's definitely more lefty/ civilised.

Liamandlee Sun 17-Jul-16 16:35:02

Aww Jessica I live I Hartlepool and we are not all like that. Sorry that you feel like that, but I do agree it's not as diverse as other areas. Xxx

WhatEverZen Sun 17-Jul-16 16:36:17

Firstly sorry you're going through this.

I think for the north east, as others have said, the areas with high 'out of area' students are likely to be a safer bet as communities are used to diversity and multi-culturalism. Are you able to move far or restricted due to work etc? If the latter, Middlesbrough, Stockton or Durham aren't too far.

I've got to be honest and say if you're not that restricted, I think city locations are always going to be better.

Liamandlee Sun 17-Jul-16 16:38:32

And I also would be happy to meet up for a cuppa xx

Jessica204041 Sun 17-Jul-16 16:46:44

Thank you, your all very nice and understanding: we were in asda a couple of weeks ago when a lady called my partner and kids monkeys. It's very upsetting. We get a lot of stares and treated a lot differently when I'm with my kids or my parnter. It's abit much sometimes which is why we want to go nearer to a city where it's more diverse. I don't want my children to grow up in a town like this. I feel alone and sad

WhatEverZen Sun 17-Jul-16 17:08:27

Shame on that woman in asda! No manners, feelings or class...

Hope your head up high. You'll always be better than a bigot like her ...

Rowanhart Sun 17-Jul-16 17:26:34

You should have gone straight to security guard and rang police. Absolutely appalling behaviour. God this makes me so FURIOUS!!!

I'm so sorry and please don't feel lonely. As I say, I'm up for a cuppa in Durham any time.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Sun 17-Jul-16 17:44:01

I think ringing the police would be a bit of an overreaction.

While people should be able to live wherever they choose, as a family you'd probably be happier in a more multicultural area where your DC won't feel like they stand out so much. That probably means a city like Leeds or Manchester rather than a small town. Have a few days out and pick somewhere that feels like home!

Rowanhart Sun 17-Jul-16 18:01:21

You think ringing the police on someone who has just racially abused your child is an over reaction? hmm

Jessica204041 Sun 17-Jul-16 18:14:56

I was just so shocked and hurt. Nowadays I expect it from everyone which I know is wrong, but because my family fell out with me and the area and the people, I just don't have hope in humanity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now