Talk

Advanced search

Hair help pleeease!!

(8 Posts)
BeeC4560 Tue 01-Sep-15 13:24:20

Hi, this is my first thread so please bare with me, my daughters are mixed heritage, their father is half Jamaican & until recently shaved his hair so has never learnt how to care for it so doesn't know either. Her hair is dry, fine larger curls. I have tried different products for her hair but not found the rigjt ones yet. I wash once a week & condition, have to use water spray (I put a bit of conitioner in) to put her hair up for school, but get a lot of frizz at the end of the day. I'm worried I have damaged her lovely hair. How do I best repair breakage and reset her curls? Any advice on how to care for her hair would be appreciated please!! Many thanks

NKFell Tue 08-Sep-15 16:43:27

Lot's of conditioner and only comb it when it has conditioner in. Don't ever use a brush!! Brushes are only for very very short styles to flatten. Let it dry naturally without combing- if you comb it you'll separate the curls. Also look into oils- Avocado oil is great.

Also have her sleep with her hair covered so it doesn't rub on the pillow. Sleeping caps are easy to get hold of online and they look like a shower cap.

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Tue 08-Sep-15 16:50:58

Keep hair plaited at night to reduce tangling. Use leave-in conditioner, a little a day, to help style it.

Lots of people say don't use shampoo, but I think you have to keep the scalp clean and a once-weekly wash is about right.

Always divide the hair into small sections and comb one section at a time. Start with the ends-hold the hair tightly just above the ends with one hand and comb out the ends carefully with the other, so that the pulling is only from your hand to the ends and does not yank the roots. When the ends have been detangled move your hand up towards the roots and repeat, until you can comb the section smoothly from root to ends. Clip and move on to the next section.

There are lots of styling ideas here.

NKFell Tue 08-Sep-15 17:27:10

Shampoo makes my hair go crazy- I end up looking like George Clinton without the funky colours wink

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Tue 08-Sep-15 21:28:33

Haha! Not in his 1980s 'Do Fries Go With That Shake' incarnation I hope NKFell!

My best shampoos are Mixed Chicks and Lazartigue (sadly discontinued, it was lovely).

BeeC4560 Wed 09-Sep-15 13:18:55

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I'm trying out the Curly Kids range at the minute so will see how her hair like that, so far so good! I will be investing in a sleeping cap thank you & plaiting her hair for bed. How do you style their hair? I spray her hair with water/conditioner mix first and usually go through her hair with my fingers, (I only use an afro comb when conditioning in the bath) with the exception of the soft bristle boar hair magic collection brush to smooth the hair into a ponytail will that damage it?

NKFell Wed 09-Sep-15 16:28:17

I'm a grown woman but I'm always after hair advice! Oh god yeah (putting Do Fries Go With That Shake on in the background!). Do you know of any good shampoos around now? The last I had was Mizani and for DD I use Aunt Jackie's Heads Up.

If I'm putting my hair into a ponytail it's an afro puff type so I comb it up then put conditioner on my hands and rub it rub it back with my hands all round my hairline then I put a thin scarf round and sort of...pull it back and tie it then go round my hairline with a little oil or serum to flatten out the rogue strands. I'm guess your DDs hair is more like my daughter's...

For DD when damp I section it then condition each section separately with my fingers- and while the (leave in) conditioner is on I do brush it through starting at the ends using one of those tangle teasers but I'd say just check that your brush isn't separating the curls. If it does then use a wide tooth comb.

I'm not a hair expert or anything but I hope that's helpful!

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Wed 09-Sep-15 18:20:52

Avoid shampoo with silicates (silicon) in it. It will worsen the frizz.

And for a cheap hair product, good old Boots basic cheapo pink Curl Creme is good in small quantities.

Philip Kingsley shampoos and conditioners are very good. Available mail order or at some larger branches of M&S.

Remember to rinse and rinse and rinse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now