Talk

Advanced search

Which product?

(8 Posts)
larnieperty89 Mon 11-May-15 13:57:23

Hello I could really do with some input here please. My daughter is 2 months old & mixed race, I'm white her dad is Kenyan. Her hair is very soft & wavy but it's also dry.
I'm just not sure what I can use on her hair, or what products are out there?
I try not to wash it often & only use baby conditioner when I do.
Does anyone have any advice at all?

SavoyCabbage Mon 11-May-15 14:02:08

My two dds are mixed race and although their hair looks similar, they both seem to need different products. So I have found that there is a lot of trail and error involved.

Have you heard of the 'curly girl method'? That's a good place to start.

The thing that has improved my dd's hair the most is that they sleep in silk bonnets, like shower caps. It has made a huge difference. In fact, dd1 couldn't find hers last night and when she got up this morning her hair was crazy. Like a regency prince.

Blended1 Tue 12-May-15 18:25:16

You should check out www.curlyellie.co.uk.
Its gots lots of tips. I even stole a few hair styles from the site.
My husband is also Kenyan and I am Irish.

TeaAddict235 Tue 12-May-15 22:25:51

at 2months old, your baby's hair is still very sensitive, and also will change as she grows depending on her diet. just wash it with water and leave it and it will take care of itself. Even children with solely black heritage when under 1 year old have a very simple routine consisting of next to nothing. As she gets older (older than 1 or so) you may want to use a natural oil like coconut or jojoba, but don't go overboard otherwise you'll bring out a lot of sensitivities on her skin and scalp.

As she grows and you're out and about, just ask others you meet and I'm sure that they'll happily share their childrens' hair routine. Enjoy x

larnieperty89 Wed 13-May-15 16:49:52

Thank you all for your advice I'm going to stick to washing it in warm water for now until she's a year. That website is very helpful too so thank you so much grin

NKfell Thu 14-May-15 16:38:04

I'm in my 20s and I don't use shampoo!

I use DevaCurl cleanser conditioner once a week and avocado oil now and again...dare I say I also sometimes use olive oil! My Aunt swears by olive oil!

Defo just use water for now smile

MameMarema Sat 20-Jun-15 14:21:16

my dd is mixed race, I am eastern european, my husband is senegalese, her her is also soft and wavy, but on the dry side...so the only thing we use, is a bit of organic coconut oil after bath, works like magic smile (dd is 5 months old)

nadine9francis Fri 07-Aug-15 15:56:59

Have you tried Mixed Chicks the Kids Range?
Apparently that has a good track record for wavy or really curly hair. www.facebook.com/MixedChicksUK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now