Talk

Advanced search

Anyone English with an Arab husband?

(10 Posts)
perfectlybroken Mon 16-Mar-15 12:31:23

The cultural issues between me and my DH are quite enormous, but we've worked through a lot and things have been easier with DS2 and DS1 as we've resolved a lot of differences in child rearing styles already!
But there is something I struggle with and I'm interested if it's just my husband or due to culture. He can be quite unpleasant in the things he says, about other people and sometimes towards me. When I take that away and look at what he actually DOES it's a different picture. He's kind, generous, and quite fun. When I've pulled him up on it, he says its normal in his country to speak like this and doesn't mean anything.
Anyone have a similar experience?

perfectlybroken Mon 16-Mar-15 15:39:41

bumpety bump

Mindgone Mon 16-Mar-15 23:10:24

I'm not quite sure how you mean!? And which country does your DH come from? There may be differences.

iniquity Thu 19-Mar-15 21:52:12

Hi I'm with an Arab husband.
I think I know what you mean.
He is much less PC than the average Brit.
He can be very critical of me too.
Where is he from?

Mommyusedtobecool Wed 24-Jun-15 16:12:25

This post is old, but made me smile!
Yes I know exactly what you mean!
And it seems.normal in my experience to just name call at the slightest thing too!
It's all done in Arabic.
If an English person cursed that much they'd be judged as low class, but really with Arabs there's no class divide when it comes to cussing.

Comingfoccacia Thu 30-Jul-15 22:34:07

Here here. quite intolerant at times! It's taken a while but we have reached a kind of happy medium... Where's your DH from?

slapmeimdone Fri 14-Aug-15 23:21:32

Yes, my DH is Arabic and is like this too. Very un-PC. It's uncomfortable for me at times

mizu Sat 15-Aug-15 19:11:14

My husband is Arab. Been married 13 years and the divide between our cultures and religion is ever growing now the DDs are getting older sad

It's difficult at times.

ummlilia Sat 05-Sep-15 17:39:18

I'm also recognising this- ne'er a good word to say about anybody..lol.. My husband also had this thing of never effusively praising or being too proud of me and our daughter, but this was borne out of a desire not to attract 'the evil eye'... (al 'ayn).

jassS Sun 13-Dec-15 16:40:10

Mine is pristine white and still like that - always acting nice, but speaking quite horribly and impatiently....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now