Talk

Advanced search

what sun protection do you use for dark-skinned children?

(11 Posts)
falasportugues Sun 10-Jul-11 22:02:22

I am not sure how necessary it really is. If we are out around midsummer between 11 and 2 I tend to put some on them, but feel that factor 50 is overdoing it a bit? what about vitamin d absorption? what conclusions have you come to about this? Have you been given any specific advice by any health professionals? or just been told the same as what white kids need? would be interested in your opinions and experiences. Thanks

RuthChan Mon 11-Jul-11 11:59:19

My children are darker than Caucasian, but not very dark. (They are half asian).
I do find that they need less suncream than caucasian children. (Certainly less than I did as a child, or even than I need now.)
I do use some on them in strong sunlight, but not a factor 50.
I don't worry about vitamin D too much in the summer. They get plenty as they run around outside playing. I do, however, give them a supplement in winter.

falasportugues Fri 15-Jul-11 17:41:45

Hi Ruth. thanks for your reply! what factor do you use? i have been prescribed factor 50, which i feel is a bit much, so i only use it if its an exceptionally sunny day. that's interesting that you give them a supplement in winter...is it just vit d that you give them? I give them vit c in winter to prevent colds.

MrsOwhat Wed 27-Jul-11 14:10:29

I use factor 50 on my young DD. Darker skin may have more melatonin but it doesn't mean it can't burn and it certainly doesn't stop harmful sun rays. Dependent on the age, you could probably go down to quite a low factor. But I would always say, use it.

falasportugues Fri 29-Jul-11 23:05:23

Hi O, thanks for your post... yes, I have noticed the very intense sun can burn, but does dark skin not have a level of natural protection form the harmful rays? i thought it did....

Blu Mon 01-Aug-11 19:09:54

I use factor 30 on mixed-race DS - he would burn, but not with as little exposure as a pale skinned child would.

I'm white - my difficulty is getting DP to take it seriously - it just isn't on his radar to think about sun screen - even though the top of his head has burned occasionally.

Blu Mon 01-Aug-11 19:10:45

Take sunscreen for DS seriously, I mean. If DP wants a peeling head, that's his look out!

Mortal Mon 01-Aug-11 22:03:19

I use factor 50 on my son, I'm pretty sure even my dark skinned husband uses factor at least 30 as he has discoid lupus.

orienteerer Mon 01-Aug-11 22:07:11

I think we over do it these days, Vit D is essential www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8437550/Are-you-getting-enough-vitamin-D.htmlhere.

falasportugues Wed 03-Aug-11 00:07:08

hi orienteerer that link didn't arrive at the article... maybe out of date. I would like guidance about what factor is suitable for dark-skinned children, and I feel that the blanket advice of factor 50 for all kids is not appropriate. still looking for a concrete source of information which weighs up vitamin d and protection from harmful rays.

Mortal Wed 03-Aug-11 20:59:06

I'm not sure it's advisable to put people off using suncream, my son doesn't wear sunscreen on a regular day, it's just these few scorching days where I'm extra careful, vitamin d will be absorbed through his skin on all other days. And even with factor 50 on a hot day, he'll still absorb vitamin d through his head, his eyes, all the areas I don't put sunscreen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now