Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with Algerian husband?

(163 Posts)
doublemuvver Sat 05-Mar-11 12:17:45

Curious to know of others married to Algerians and what, if any, cultural differences/issues you have experienced. We've been married 6 years and have 2 kids (twins). Life is a bit of a rollercoaster sometimes.

Kokokiki Mon 12-Feb-18 23:18:21

hello, am new at mumsnet....i couldnt reply cause i dont know how the website works ...i saw your post and joined mumsnet just to reply... well am an Algerian mother and i advise you to be so careful as 98℅ of Algerian men marries Europeans just for documents and european passeport , no matter how long it takes , they are so patient about that, and they could leave with a European maximum 9 or 10 years and they divorce them and bring a wife from Algeria , be so careful my sister ,i dont know you but i just wanted to help you as this happened to my friend last week, he left her after he got his permission to stay, and they dont only do that to Europeans , they do it to Algerian women who lives abroad as i know many cases of an Algerian women living in France and end up by being left as they think that Algerian women who lives abroad got european mentality ....am an Algerian woman living in the uk married to a british pakistani and i d recommend to get married with an Algerian with documents ...this way you garantee that he wants you for who you are and not for what you got...cheerssmile .

ziggzagg Fri 19-Jan-18 20:33:16

It would be the same with an English guy I suppose. Worrying about what could happen in 5/10 years is normal with any relationship regardless of nationality. Me and DH are pretty much in the same situation, married for 2 years in Mosque, planning our legal wedding and just had DS in December. Sometimes I wonder if he is just with me for a visa but it is only fleeting. I know he loves me and our son and would be with me regardless. We knew each other for 7 years before we got together, on and off relationship. I suppose you just have to trust your instincts, if it works out great, if not you move on to bigger, better things.

BeeMyBaby Fri 19-Jan-18 15:22:16

I suppose the doubt takes a long time to go, does he talk about wanting children with you?

Sunshine0660 Wed 03-Jan-18 22:49:07

Hello ladies ... i have never posted anything in discussions like this but browsing here and reading all through i decided to give a go . All of u are writing how nice your husband are how nice they tried you and so and so . My question is different my husband is really treading me nice like princes never missing anything we are together for almost 2 years but we are only maried under islamic law which means we still dont have a legal marriage cuz im scaried of that . My problem is with the trust im scaried to get to that step cuz he doesnt have paper and i think the only thing he wants to marrie me for is just because of that . He is so nice but my heart is just like frozen and so scaried im just 25 now if i marrie the guy and after 5 years he got what he wants whats gonna happen to me . I need to start my life all over again ?! How can i find out if its only because of that how can i be sure all this is not just a teater to get what he wants ? Is there anyone or anything that can guarantee that this men actually love me for who i am and he doesnt want only papers from me ? Please help me somehow to find the right way ... im so scaried to trust him about that...

marcia4u Thu 13-Jul-17 14:40:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

carlyroo Fri 30-Jun-17 21:32:06

ok thankyou for all the info ! big help and feel alot calmer.

BeeMyBaby Fri 30-Jun-17 15:29:00

If you are staying in a hotel you will need separate rooms if you are not legally married, and they will check your passport for proof. Other than that no you do not need to be married to enter Algeria, but as already stated you will need your partners permission to get the children out of Algeria. I wouldn't worry about circumcision, you can just lie, no one is going to check! With regards to family, you can also lie about marriage, most people will just assume you are married unless you correct them.

carlyroo Thu 29-Jun-17 22:28:03

I've been with him 15 years so it will be fine it's probably me over thinking he asked a few times I've said no and told him never to ask again and he haven't but even the boys told him no with out me interfering as my boys choice so I think he would respect that thou ! my almost 13 year old is now wanting to go algeria 1st time to see where his dad grew up to ECT as before never interested so think I need to pick up the courage and go just a week or 2 ! was thinking local mosque but I don't like attention or to say anything in service I have no confidence in that sort of thing.

pinkspeckle Wed 28-Jun-17 00:03:51

Not trying to scare you but if you take the DC's to Algeria you need dad's permission to take them back out of the country as they will be classed as citizens over there! You know your partner best but that's what I worry about most!

Is partner Muslim? Can you not just get married at your local mosque if it's that important to him xx

carlyroo Tue 27-Jun-17 23:51:15

I thought it was a bit odd, he did say it's because he shouldn't of done everything 1st before marriage as against beliefs, worried at same time going there as safety but also kept on back a few years he wanted boys circumcised ! I said a big NO my eldest 13 and 2nd is 8 just worried about that situation over there moving he might take them somewhere for it to be done ! always got that q thing at the back of my mind.

pinkspeckle Tue 27-Jun-17 21:02:00

Think that might have more to do with what his family might think! I've never heard that before!

carlyroo Sat 24-Jun-17 18:02:51

do you need to be married to Algerian to travel as he told me you have as we have 3 children out of wed ! said we can't go over for visit as not married

Amerthystbeauty1986 Wed 10-May-17 15:24:19

Thankyou for your help.

dddddddddd Wed 10-May-17 15:16:52

I really second what @pinkmagic1 is saying! Cut your losses and find someone who won't demand you make this change! You sound incredibly naive to think that this relationship will work out considering what you have told us!

pinkmagic1 Wed 10-May-17 15:02:31

If you have never met the guy and already he is giving ultimatums like that I would cut my losses tbh.
Sorry to be harsh but it doesn't sound good.

Amerthystbeauty1986 Wed 10-May-17 13:32:31

I'm worried because I love and care about him so much and afraid of losing him.

Amerthystbeauty1986 Wed 10-May-17 13:10:59

I spoken and told him I need time to know him and more about his culture and he said he will help me but also said if I never convert he will leave me. We both love each other and buy each other but this obsticle keeps coming up

dddddddddd Wed 10-May-17 11:59:34

I would be very careful if I were you! I've known DH for 8 years, married for 18 months. A Muslim is permitted to marry a Christian, Jew or another Muslim. Not an unbeliever iyswim? So if you have told him you are not religious he may have reservations. Given the fact you have never met face to face or spent any considerable amount of time together I would be wary of making marriage plans with this man until you know him better and his intentions. Like I say I have known my DH for a long time before we married and know him inside out. Just be careful and don't rush into something you may regret later on!

Amerthystbeauty1986 Tue 09-May-17 22:40:09

I'm asking as I'm not part of any religion

Amerthystbeauty1986 Tue 09-May-17 22:38:20

He's coming to see me for the first time this year we've been together a yr and a few months. I want to marry him in the uk but he's telling me that his country won't allow it because I'm not muslim or converted to one I feel sometimes like im getting pushed

pinkmagic1 Tue 09-May-17 20:53:11

Like dddd my Dh is also Muslim and me Christian. He is not Algerian but Egyptian.We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary in September and not once has he asked me to convert and neither has his family.
Like I said previously a Muslim man can also marry a Christian or Jewish women and he must allow you to practice your religion freely.

dddddddddd Tue 09-May-17 18:37:01

Surely you have discussed this with your partner? I'm a Christian my DH is Muslim, he has never asked me to convert and I've told him I wouldn't! How long have you been together? Have you met?

Amerthystbeauty1986 Tue 09-May-17 18:14:05

I've heard stuff on here and I'm worrying a little is there any way of getting married than decide to convert later on?

pinkmagic1 Mon 08-May-17 16:44:17

Only convert if you really believe and feel it in your heart. Do not convert for your partner. He is permitted to marry a Christian or Jewish women as well as another Muslim.
I would suggest your local mosque would be a good starting point if you are interested in exploring Islam. Give them a call.

Amerthystbeauty1986 Mon 08-May-17 13:14:25

Please can anyone help me I've been dating a guy from Algiers and things have become more serious as we want to get married and have a family only thing what seems to be the problem is that I do want to convert and don't know what to do please can someone help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now