Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with Algerian husband?

(152 Posts)
doublemuvver Sat 05-Mar-11 12:17:45

Curious to know of others married to Algerians and what, if any, cultural differences/issues you have experienced. We've been married 6 years and have 2 kids (twins). Life is a bit of a rollercoaster sometimes.

carlyroo Sat 24-Jun-17 18:02:51

do you need to be married to Algerian to travel as he told me you have as we have 3 children out of wed ! said we can't go over for visit as not married

Amerthystbeauty1986 Wed 10-May-17 15:24:19

Thankyou for your help.

dddddddddd Wed 10-May-17 15:16:52

I really second what @pinkmagic1 is saying! Cut your losses and find someone who won't demand you make this change! You sound incredibly naive to think that this relationship will work out considering what you have told us!

pinkmagic1 Wed 10-May-17 15:02:31

If you have never met the guy and already he is giving ultimatums like that I would cut my losses tbh.
Sorry to be harsh but it doesn't sound good.

Amerthystbeauty1986 Wed 10-May-17 13:32:31

I'm worried because I love and care about him so much and afraid of losing him.

Amerthystbeauty1986 Wed 10-May-17 13:10:59

I spoken and told him I need time to know him and more about his culture and he said he will help me but also said if I never convert he will leave me. We both love each other and buy each other but this obsticle keeps coming up

dddddddddd Wed 10-May-17 11:59:34

I would be very careful if I were you! I've known DH for 8 years, married for 18 months. A Muslim is permitted to marry a Christian, Jew or another Muslim. Not an unbeliever iyswim? So if you have told him you are not religious he may have reservations. Given the fact you have never met face to face or spent any considerable amount of time together I would be wary of making marriage plans with this man until you know him better and his intentions. Like I say I have known my DH for a long time before we married and know him inside out. Just be careful and don't rush into something you may regret later on!

Amerthystbeauty1986 Tue 09-May-17 22:40:09

I'm asking as I'm not part of any religion

Amerthystbeauty1986 Tue 09-May-17 22:38:20

He's coming to see me for the first time this year we've been together a yr and a few months. I want to marry him in the uk but he's telling me that his country won't allow it because I'm not muslim or converted to one I feel sometimes like im getting pushed

pinkmagic1 Tue 09-May-17 20:53:11

Like dddd my Dh is also Muslim and me Christian. He is not Algerian but Egyptian.We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary in September and not once has he asked me to convert and neither has his family.
Like I said previously a Muslim man can also marry a Christian or Jewish women and he must allow you to practice your religion freely.

dddddddddd Tue 09-May-17 18:37:01

Surely you have discussed this with your partner? I'm a Christian my DH is Muslim, he has never asked me to convert and I've told him I wouldn't! How long have you been together? Have you met?

Amerthystbeauty1986 Tue 09-May-17 18:14:05

I've heard stuff on here and I'm worrying a little is there any way of getting married than decide to convert later on?

pinkmagic1 Mon 08-May-17 16:44:17

Only convert if you really believe and feel it in your heart. Do not convert for your partner. He is permitted to marry a Christian or Jewish women as well as another Muslim.
I would suggest your local mosque would be a good starting point if you are interested in exploring Islam. Give them a call.

Amerthystbeauty1986 Mon 08-May-17 13:14:25

Please can anyone help me I've been dating a guy from Algiers and things have become more serious as we want to get married and have a family only thing what seems to be the problem is that I do want to convert and don't know what to do please can someone help

BeeMyBaby Sat 11-Feb-17 11:16:35

@mrslaichaoui I saw your post on aibu, what are his reasons for waiting?

mrslaichaoui Fri 10-Feb-17 01:42:15

Oh sorry my DH is from Tebessa in Algeria xxx

mrslaichaoui Fri 10-Feb-17 01:40:51

Hi I'm nearly married for a year! My DH is lovely but won't start trying for a baby I'm 33 and he wants 3 or more! I want to have babies but AIBU to expect we start asap so I'm not a really old mum? TIA xxx

BeeMyBaby Fri 13-Jan-17 22:00:27

@dmn1983 up to you what you wear, again it depends where about he is from, in Algiers the women wear hijab but afaik in the villages the women don't wear hijabs and a midi skirt would be acceptable. Jeans are always fine I reckon but perhaps not skinny ones... I don't wear low cut tops and I wear long sleeves when I go out, DH likes it when I wear maxi dresses but I tend to trip so don't bother unless it's summer. Basically just wear whatever you are comfortable in but make it a bit conservative.
Your dh's suggestion is not that bad, a lot of the clothes they sell there are made from man made materials and my in laws appreciate proper cotton (I've had requests for primark high cotton content socks before).

dmn1983 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:38:04

Ah thats great thanks!! If I asked him it would be bloody primark pyjamas! I want to get something a bit original! What did you wear there im panicking most about that! Im covered in tattoos so obviously want to cover them but he keeps showing me these dresses that look like potato sacks! Haha any advice would be great!

BeeMyBaby Fri 13-Jan-17 14:36:37

@dmn1983 I would recommend taking chocolates as gifts (something like celebrations), my in laws love these and they wouldn't normally buy them for themselves. I got my mil the Masha electric potato masher as they have a dish that consists of loads of mash potato (with chicken) which has to be very softly mashed (they stick it through a potato ricer) and normally takes ages to make, maybe find out from your DH if that would be of interest. I suppose gifts depend on how well off his family are, if they lived in a main city like Algiers and were well off then they could probably buy most stuff there... otherwise nice hair care products for the women in his family?

Suffiyah1970 Sat 07-Jan-17 19:56:54

@worldCitizen... Very good question.. I was married for 15 years before i left.. The country i loved the culture wasnt a problem, but had someone gave me an insight into the Algerian mentality and possibly future issues.. That would of been valuable..would it of stopped me that i cant say... I must say while we were married i had a great relationship with his family.. And like other people i have experienced them going into my belongings... But i felt as they saw me as British and supposedly better off than there were... I saw it as curiosity... But at the same time quite rude...

dmn1983 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:57:04

My Algerian DH and I have been married almost a year after being in and out of a relationship for 8 years! Im going to meet his family in April near Annaba and Im really neevous! Im trying to get loads of tips on what to wear, presents to take etc any help would be great! He keeps telling me not to worry but thats the worst thing you can say to me blush

Suffiyah1970 Sat 31-Dec-16 22:00:50

I was married to an Algerian for 15 years and travelled many times there, I must say i never had issues going out my ex had no problem with me going out shopping or sightseeing without him, I found the people very friendly and always had invitations for dinner or weddings.. I enjoyed the life and quite happily took on their culture....what i didnt like i would ignore without being disrespectful and could laugh about.... I feel its not that you cant go out but i feel the men are just protective of their wives in a foreign country...

Kitten3 Thu 29-Dec-16 16:26:46

Why are any of the above points hurdles?
Either you have agreed to just live your lives as you currently do or one of you is prepared to compromise the way you live and the culture you practise.
I think you need to think carefully about what you want out of life and how you may want potential children raised.
Irrespective of faith or culture, many adults choose to raise their children with the values and traditions they were raised with.

Shoelover11 Thu 29-Dec-16 14:31:47

Hi, not sure if anyone can help me, I'm a 20 year old British girl with an Algerian boyfriend (although he has lived in the U.K. since he was a baby) I am born Christian/atheist & he is Muslim. we have an amazing realationship however we are worried about the future & weather to continue our relationship due to the difference between our religion & culture. There is so much to take into consideration that we have almost ended our relationship over it, but our love always keeps us together. Has anyone got any advice to get over these hurdles (such as bringing up a child Muslim, alcohol, marriage, English tradition such as Christmas, difference in opinions, etc.)

Would love to hear everyone's advice

Thanks😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now