Talk

Advanced search

Starting Over-WaitingforGodotsbook

(4 Posts)
waitingforgodot Thu 24-Sep-09 18:01:58

Well, I originally picked this book as I like Tony Parsons other books and thought it would be a good read for my hols. I nominated the book for the MN book swap club before I read it and really wished I hadn't. I found it dull, tedious and actually didn't enjoy it at all. The story line was ok but it just didn't seem to go any where. The characters weren't really characters you could warm to and I just found it a little dull. Maybe some of you will get more out of it than I did. If not, I apologise for my choice of book!

tvaerialmagpiebin Thu 24-Sep-09 20:42:49

I had always avoided Tony Parsons' books because I always associated them with "misery lit". This wasn't really misery stuff but I didn't really connect with any of the characters. I thought George was a bit of a caricature of the old-style policeman, a bit too ^Ashes to Ashes^ for me. I mean, surely policemen don't behave like George and his cronies, do they?

The gormless son becoming a slave to the establishment was a bit of a cliche, as was the eco-warrior teenage daughter. I totally failed to get Laura, she was so one-dimensional. I think more could have been made of the cellular memory phenomenon line, in fact when that was first brought up i thought "Aha, that's where this goes", but it didn't really.

I quite liked the idea of the swimming pool skimmers and I liked George's parents, and it has a happy ending, but I wouldn't read it again, and I wouldn't read anything else by Tony Parsons either.

OnlyWantsOneFartleBerry Thu 01-Oct-09 20:05:49

this is one of the books from my Irish Drama module from my English degree, heavens its dull.

juneybean Sat 24-Oct-09 22:06:40

Received this today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now