Talk

Advanced search

HidingFromTheDM Book Circle Book

(9 Posts)
HidingFromTheDM Fri 28-Aug-09 12:23:24

I chose The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger (and no, not because of the film).

Wikipedia says:
The Devil Wears Prada (2003) is a best selling novel by Lauren Weisberger about a young woman who, freshly graduated from college, is hired as a personal assistant to a powerful fashion magazine editor, a job that becomes hellish as she struggles to keep up with her boss's capricious and demeaning requests.

I adored this book. It isn't exactly intellectual and it's not going to win any awards, but I laughed all the way through it. I think it's well written and, for those of us with bosses-from-hell, it definitely rings true. It is miles better than the film as well.

Happy reading.

YouLukaPrettyAmazing Wed 02-Sep-09 19:52:15

Thanks HidingDM I received this today.
I haven't read it - or watched the film. It's not something I would have chosen for myself to read so I am looking forward to having my eyes opened
Thanks smile

HidingFromTheDM Fri 04-Sep-09 09:27:31

I hope you enjoy it. Just don't any earth-shattering revelations out of it!! grin

YouLukaStunning Tue 22-Sep-09 20:03:15

Argh!!! I'm only half way and a bit through this book and today's the day for sending on isn't it?

Off to do some skim reading. Pity, as I was just starting to get into it a bit too!!

Hope to put it in the post in a day or two

HidingFromTheDM Wed 23-Sep-09 13:45:32

Don't worry YLS - I think I'm in the same boat, desperately trying to finish mine too. Maybe we could jointly beg and plead for the post date to be the 1st of every month? ;)

YouLukaStunning Fri 25-Sep-09 16:06:48

I will finish the book over the weekend and post on Monday.
Quick update, I tried to skim read just to finish quicker and forward on but am finding myself wanted to read slowly and absorb it. I'm surprising myself with how much I'm enjoying the second half of the book. Now I just need to find some more time to finish it

YouLukaStunning Sun 27-Sep-09 13:36:11

Have had a pleasant sunday morning finishing this while watching the DVD! My mind is now in a haze of relaxed mush so hope this makes sense

To be honest, the book wasn't my usual cup of tea (nor the film)

I found that I wasn't really interested in what happened to the characters and may not have finished the book if it wasn't for the Swap. The cliches didn't excite me and the story line bimbled along too quietly for me. I did enjoy the second half more, but that may have been partly to do with looking forward to finishing it blush
I also didn't find it remotely funny - (I may be a miserable old hag though smile)

That sounds harsh - It did partly appeal to my inner magazine lover and was a pleasant way to take my mind off other more pressing things going on.

This morning I dug out the DVD dh had kindly bought for me ages ago thinking I'd enjoy it. I had never finished the film before as I had found it too slow.

Watching and reading worked for me this morning and I have had a lovely couple of hours!

So thanks HidingFromTHeDM for my relaxing morning. I haven't felt compelled to sit down and watch a film and chill out like that for ages!

Only problem is, dd1 loved the film and is desperate to read the book now. She's bitterly disappointed I'm going to be putting it in the post tomorrow. I'll have to borrow a copy from the library for her

HidingFromTheDM Thu 01-Oct-09 15:15:15

I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy it YLS, but am chuffed to bits if I was able to help you get a quiet Sunday morning. grin

I recently moved in to a new house and when I chose the book, most of my books were still packed. I promise - if this book circle continues - I'll send a...umm...higher brow book next time. wink

Claire2301 Sun 08-Nov-09 22:53:04

Posted this on during the week (was a little behind as well) I actually enjoyed reading this, have seen the film a few times and was nice to read the book to see the differences.

I've contributed an equally low brow book to the circle, seem to go through stages of reading "better" books then going back to the cheesy ones.

Thanks for a relaxing read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now