Talk

Advanced search

YouLukaAmazing's Book

(6 Posts)
YouLukaPrettyAmazing Wed 26-Aug-09 18:57:20

I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith

Amazon.com Review
Seventeen-year-old Cassandra Mortmain wants to become a writer. Trouble is, she's the daughter of a once-famous author with a severe case of writer's block. Her family--beautiful sister Rose, brooding father James, ethereal stepmother Topaz--is barely scraping by in a crumbling English castle they leased when times were good. Now there's very little furniture, hardly any food, and just a few pages of notebook paper left to write on. Bravely making the best of things, Cassandra gets hold of a journal and begins her literary apprenticeship by refusing to face the facts. She writes, "I have just remarked to Rose that our situation is really rather romantic, two girls in this strange and lonely house. She replied that she saw nothing romantic about being shut up in a crumbling ruin surrounded by a sea of mud."
Rose longs for suitors and new tea dresses while Cassandra scorns romance: "I know all about the facts of life. And I don't think much of them." But romantic isolation comes to an end both for the family and for Cassandra's heart when the wealthy, adventurous Cotton family takes over the nearby estate. Cassandra is a witty, pensive, observant heroine, just the right voice for chronicling the perilous cusp of adulthood. Some people have compared I Capture the Castle to the novels of Jane Austen, and it's just as well-plotted and witty. But the Mortmains are more bohemian--as much like the Addams Family as like any of Austen's characters. Dodie Smith, author of 101 Dalmations, wrote this novel in 1948. And though the story is set in the 1930s, it still feels fresh, and well deserves its reputation as a modern classic. --Maria Dolan

"I write this sitting in the kitchen sink...." - what a great start to a fab book!

I love this book and love to recommend it to friends (although particularly suited to young teenage girls)! I'm on my third copy! I wish I had read it myself as a teenager, and hope that my own dd's will enjoy it. It's a real coming-of-age feel-good book - but then I may just be a hopeless romantic! Hope you enjoy this gentle, lovely book....if not, please be kind grin

crunched Wed 26-Aug-09 22:58:45

My 15 year old dd is currently reading this on my recommendation. She is at the stage when she is loathe to admit I'm right about anything, but judging by the way it even accompanies her to the loo,I think she loves it!
Refreshing change from all the miserable stuff-e.g.Lord of the Flies-set by examining boards.

YouLukaPrettyAmazing Wed 26-Aug-09 23:07:26

Fantastic! Glad she's enjoying it. If it was on your recommendation i assume you like it too??

crunched Thu 27-Aug-09 12:41:13

Absolutly. I'm envious of anyone yet to discover how sweet it is.

Claire2301 Fri 25-Sep-09 14:48:47

Really enjoyed this book, was lovely to read something that I wouldn't have read normally. I did find it hard to get into but loved the ending (won't give anything away for people yet to read)

I have already recommended it to several freinds two of which are now halfway through!

Thanks for choosing a great book!

YouLukaStunning Fri 25-Sep-09 16:00:37

Oh brilliant! I'm so pleased you enjoyed it. I find that it's one of those books you really want to share with others

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now