Talk

Advanced search

MamaKaty's Book Circle Book

(3 Posts)
MamaKaty Sun 23-Aug-09 15:16:39

The Book I chose for the Book Swap Club is The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber

It's a novel about four very different women who come together in an unexpected way. It's about opening up to friendship and love.

After I read this book I wrote in my book journal 'A lovely friendship story, even if it wasn't terribly well written', but I found myself thinking about it later that day; I decided that if you don't take it too seriously it's just a lovely warm hearted read.

However when I started this thread I had a look at the reviews for it on Amazon and was surprised to realise that i had, in part, agreed with the 1* review about the stereotyping of the female characters.

I'm really interested to see what other people think of it and I hope you'll all add your honest views to this discussion.

tvaerialmagpiebin Thu 08-Oct-09 16:13:52

Well I wouldn't have chosen this in a bookshop, I would have thought it too chick-litty. But it wasn't quite what I expected. I liked the knitting theme but agree that the characters were a bit obvious and it wasn't particularly well written. I wanted to know what happened but I was surprised by the pretty implausible scenario with Laurel (won't say more for those who haven't read it yet). The male characters were really one-dimensional. I am a sucker for a happy ending but I didn't really care about the characters that much, once I had finished it i didn't get that "but what happened next" feeling you get from a really good book.

waitingforgodot Fri 09-Oct-09 17:29:03

Sorry for the delay in posting the review. I too looked at the cover and thought "not my cup of tea" however I read a chapter a night in bed and it was so easy to read. I liked the Alix character-however didn't feel I particularly warmed to any of them.
Its not a very memorable book but I enjoyed reading it despite initial reservations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now