Andyrobo237
EachPeachPearMum
EPPM's friend
Flame

Jas Mon 03-Nov-08 20:43:07

Ooops, forgot to delete that bitblush

EachPeachPearMum Mon 24-Nov-08 16:52:22

Well- finished this last night.
I really liked it, and glad I got to read it, as it isn't something I would normally have picked up. I was nervous before I started though in case I didn't like it, bearing in mind the author.

I am so glad that there is resolution at the end, as I can;t stand books that leave things hanging and you don't now what the outcomes are blush whereas this nicely ties up all the threads.

andyrobo237 Mon 01-Dec-08 21:36:40

I went to the library and got her first book, which I am reading at the moment - that is written in a similar vein, but from a different timeline. If you enjoyed this one, then try to get the other one - something about the moon in the title!

VampiresWalkin Tue 27-Jan-09 22:27:01

I have the first one by her sat here, but I started then got waylaid by something shiny.... blush

I enjoyed this - a good easy read I didn't feel desperately connected to any of them, but still enjoyed.

I would say it was an easy book, enjoyable, but not sure I would tell people to rush out and buy iyswim

wheresthehamster Mon 09-Feb-09 16:50:14

Bit too confusing for me. At the start of each chapter I couldn't remember where we'd left that character previously. I didn't warm to any of them very much and the meeting at the end didn't ring true. Surely Gregor would have wanted to see Alex before then? There was no guarantee she would turn up before either of them died.

I did finish it in two sittings though so I obviously found it interesting enough to want to see what happened in the end!

Jas Sun 10-May-09 22:49:20

I've just finished this one, and agree with much of what has already been said...It was nice to have the loose ends tied up at the end, but I didn't really connect with any of the characters at all.

I may well give her first one a try when I get to the library though.

duffpancake Wed 03-Jun-09 14:58:37

WTH, I found all the jumping around in time a bit exhausting too, it's something that happens a lot in films lately I've noticed too (anyone seen Duplicity? Gah! My brain short-circuited about 2/3 of the way through and actual smoke came pouring out of my ears)

I quite liked Alix though, and I thought it was a timely book in that with the various wars going on around the world we tend to form opinions on the conflict in a very black and white way, when in fact there are usually aggressors and victims on both sides, through all levels of society. And I liked that it involved a lot of characters who didn't fit neatly into the 'sides' of the Second World War. WWII is the focus for a lot of nationalism in this country, which ignores the uglier aspects of that victory, and is itself often the cover for other, uglier beliefs. Most importantly it addressed what is little talked about, that as long as armies are composed mainly of men, the women of the countries they occupy are under threat of rape no matter what their respective nationalities, ethnicities or religious views are.

I found the section that takes place in Berlin during the Soviet occupation quite harrowing but also eye-opening and am going to look for the book on Berlin that she mentions in the bibliography.

yogabird Sat 11-Jul-09 09:09:28

the atrocities, the cold, the normality/accaptance of losing touch with your family and friends and never seeing them again, never knowing what had become of them and simply having to get on with your life was really brought home to me with this book. Faced with fear and uncertainty and losing all that was dear to you in your home - the destruction - but having to get on anyway. Could I have coped as Alix did? What about Mami leaving Alix to go off to the woods while she stayed in the snow? and Gregor, well, all of them so young to have seen and endured so much. The book really brought home the obstacles, the fear the necessity for a 'getting on with it' kind of approach which the turbulence of war necessitates and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Read it quickly and neglected other (much less interesting) jobs to do so! Thanks!

cyanarasamba Thu 17-Sep-09 09:04:08

Agree with all yogabird says, but think the reality was perhaps undermined by the "neatness" of the story - in real life we can't expect all the ends to be so neatly tied up.

A really interesting read, when so many WWII stories cover and re-cover UK evacuees/the Blitz/the French resistance etc this is new territory to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now