Talk

Advanced search

Second chapter: Wheresthehamster';s book

(17 Posts)
mybabysinthegarden Fri 18-Jan-08 15:42:20

ciao!

DontDreamItBeIt Sat 09-Feb-08 16:47:44

No posts yet?shock

I wasn't overly excited to get this one as it is something I wouldn't normally look twice at, but two days and 100 pages in, I'm rally enjoying itsmile

DontDreamItBeIt Tue 12-Feb-08 23:50:53

I loved itsmileI'm so glad I'm in this circle now. I'd never have looked at it normally, and it was a realy well written and moving book.

wheresthehamster Wed 13-Feb-08 18:29:59

I'm glad you liked it. Agree about reading things you wouldn't normally pick up. The one I've got now is like that.

mybabysinthegarden Sat 05-Apr-08 14:00:51

I was really excited to get this as I read The Red Tent by her a while ago and found it very engaging. The structure of this is more like a sequence of short stories than a novel; I found the timeline a bit confusing at times but I liked the serial focus on individual characters with each chapter. One thing I didn't understand was that when Cornelius left Dogtown he was supposed to be its last resident, but weren't Oliver and Polly still in a house there?

I really liked the unsentimentally realistic depiction of how hand-to-mouth the characters' existence was, and how limited the options were for women who weren't in the protection of a family. Maybe because some of the most likeable characters (Judy, Easter, etc) end up on their feet, despite some of the gritty subject matter I found it quite upbeat in the end.

yogabird Tue 06-May-08 21:21:26

loved it, not in anything like the same way as the Red Tent which was wonderful but it was the first book i've had in the book circle that i've kept rushing to pick up.
I cared about the characters all of them but especially Judy & Cornelius i wish they could have got it together and stayed together. I even cared about the dogs!

thank you so much wheresthehamster

Jas Wed 07-May-08 08:13:48

I'm going to have to go and find the Red Tent.....can someoe remind me of the Author please?

wheresthehamster Wed 07-May-08 19:56:23

As two of you have mentioned The Red Tent I've just ordered it from Amazon and really looking forward to reading it.

I'm glad everyone's enjoying my book. It wasn't a difficult decision to choose this one as I thought it was too good not to share!

Jas Wed 07-May-08 21:55:13

Author???

<please>

wheresthehamster Thu 08-May-08 22:44:25

Here Jas

Jas Fri 09-May-08 16:58:05

Thankyou Wheresthehamster.

I'll try the library next week, before I buy it.

yogabird Sat 10-May-08 20:29:06

you will love the Red Tent - I promise, I read it at a gallop and stayed up late into the night, I'm quite envious - enjoy grin

bookswapper Sat 10-May-08 20:40:04

hello book club
been away from mumsnet for a good while and namechanged

back to this book...I loved this! couldnt put it down....I too am seeking out others of hers!

wheresthehamster Fri 25-Jul-08 10:51:52

Just finished The Red Tent and what a book! The author has such a way with words I felt like I was there living the life. I loved the way that she brought Jacob's wives to life and the rituals of the women of the time made fascinating reading.

Thanks for recommending it!

MegBusset Fri 01-Aug-08 22:43:04

I've just finished WTH's book and have to add myself to the list of people who've really enjoyed it. I thought all the characters were very believable and felt very sad for Judy and Cornelius. Thanks Wheresthehamster

andyrobo237 Thu 18-Sep-08 20:07:39

I found this book at bit slow at first, but part of the way through, it picked up pace - I was a bit put off by the skipping around the characters and time line, but overall enjoyed it. Will look out for the red tent book in the library on my next visit!

EachPeachPearMum Wed 22-Oct-08 20:23:56

I really really enjoyed this one!
People had told me it wasn't as good as red tent, but I haven't read that, so I wasn't put off.
I just loved the characters, and the setting, and found all the interwoven stories really interesting. I think I like books that have lots of multi-threaded tales tbh.
Excellent stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now