Talk

Advanced search

QUICHE BOOK CLUB - NLMG by KI

(19 Posts)
Vacua Sun 13-Jan-08 10:43:08

Deceptively simple prose or just bad writing? Reviews fairly sharply polarised, readers either relish the gradual descent into a morally ambiguous world and are haunted by the chilling themes for some time after reading, or they reject the book as dull, pedestrian and one dimensional.

EachPeachPearMum Mon 14-Jan-08 01:06:52

Is this a quote from somewhere or is that what you think? (and how many readers did you poll?)

leoleo Mon 14-Jan-08 09:31:11

Hi I recieved this book this morning.. Thanks.
I will post once I have stared reading and have something to say.

Vacua Tue 15-Jan-08 07:34:52

"is this a quote from somewhere?"

heh, thanks

I only posted this yesterday though?

Vacua Tue 15-Jan-08 07:36:41

(just remember reviews falling largely into one camp or the other, that's all)

thegrowlygus Wed 16-Jan-08 10:27:54

Well, as you said Vacua, great minds think alike!

I found the book very interesting and it did leave me rather unsettled after reading it. Having read a review since, it begged the question "why didn't they run" which is something I thought about throughout it. I also re-read a small portion before sending it on and hadn't really appreciated that "completion" didn't necessarily mean "death" which unsettled me even more. I don't know if that is because of my medical background or not. The ethical issues raised could probably fill a whole forum.

The prose is very simple - but I think it works partcularly when they are children.

So which camp did you fall into?

shoshe Wed 16-Jan-08 10:34:51

I got it, I got it grin

Will read over the weekend grin

Vacua Wed 16-Jan-08 12:50:39

I loved it, thought it was really nicely done and I don't mind gaps in plot (like why don't they leg it), just assumed they were conditioned not to or whatever. When I read the more critical reviews I just turned cartwheels in my own private BOTHERED playground. People get so snooty about books, am happy to just enjoy whatever I enjoy.

leoleo Tue 22-Jan-08 23:53:01

Finsished! I loved this book. I keep telling people about it now. The way you say is to read it without knowing what is going on. I kept finding myself telling people (who I know wouldn't read it) what had happened so far and asking them what they think is happening. I normally do not try to work out what is going on in books or films but I really couldn't help it with this one.

I kept wondering from about the 'possibles' bit with the office trip - why don't they run? Maybe there is some sort of tracking device? Or like Vacua said maybe this wasn't a option they would have come up with.

I did find it unsettling when I discovered what was going on and it did make me wonder.. If this was real what would I think if I needed or someone I knew needed them. (I am being vague because I am not sure how much detail to put in case I give the story away)

I want to say something about the ending but I don't know quite what I am thinking..

Thank you for sending me this because I really wouldn't have chose this for myself and I really enjoyed it. Even if I have read it early in our circle.

leoleo Tue 22-Jan-08 23:53:51

finished!!! sorry for my spelling / typing blush

EachPeachPearMum Wed 23-Jan-08 00:02:25

I enjoyed it, but I felt there was something missing IYSWIM. It just didn't feel deep enough. I like a lot of his other books- esp artist of the floating world.

leoleo Wed 23-Jan-08 00:26:11

That's what I mean I think. It wasn't quite deep enough. Esp at the end. You were told what was going on and then The End. IYSWIM

thegrowlygus Thu 13-Mar-08 15:58:33

So Eachpeachpearmum - it is worth reading his other books then?

MamaG Tue 22-Apr-08 10:46:53

Finished! I have to say I loved it. I was gripped from the start which I LOVE when I get into a book (as we all do, I'm sure). I admit that I bored DH with the "ooh this has happened and OMG they're...!"

I missed that when they complete it doesn't mean they die blush [thick] - what DOES ti mean?

thegrowlygus Tue 22-Apr-08 14:58:04

Mamag, I didn't realize that the first time I read it either. It was only when I re-read a part that I realized that the rumours were that death didn't come after your final donation.

So I assumed that meant that they were kept alive by articifical means and the rest of their organs were used up bit by bit. The more you think about it the more sinister this book gets I think.

MamaG Tue 22-Apr-08 16:33:25

<shudder>

leoleo Thu 24-Apr-08 17:31:50

They don't die!

Heifer Mon 14-Jul-08 14:14:12

Well I think they did die.. and so does Wikipedia!) grin

I agree that it could have been deeper, but I was still able to get into the story.

Would never have bought this book myself, so am glad to have had the opportunity to read it.

I found it hard that because the book didn't have a cover there was no book summary that I could read before starting the book. I didn't realise just how much I rely on the summary to understand what is going on in the book!

Good addition to the book club, really enjoyed it.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 14-Sep-08 16:36:10

I enjoyed this book. It reminded me a little The Midwich Cuckoos.

But it seemed to just end rather abruptly and I felt a bit 'short changed'. All the build up about things like The Gallery was just dismissed at the end.

Vaguely unsatisfying, a bit like eating candy floss!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now