Talk

Advanced search

QUICHE BOOK CLUB - DOAGIC by SA

(12 Posts)
shoshe Thu 10-Jan-08 16:52:28

Why did I choose this book, partly because I grew up in Singapore, but mainly as we had a Amah (housekeeper/nanny) who lived through the war, her aunt was interned, and she often spoke to my mother about it, who as I got older told me.

I went back to Changi a couple of years ago and went to the memorial, and to the chapel.
It was very moving.

FluffyMummy123 Fri 11-Jan-08 11:37:53

Message withdrawn

MamaVonG Sat 19-Jan-08 22:57:44

I'm enjoying it a lot, so far. Like the fact that you can dip in and out of it, without waiting until the end of the chapter (when its midnight and you're knackered but you can't put the damn book down!!)

Heifer Sat 16-Feb-08 08:32:17

The book arrived earlier this week and I look forward to reading it (after I have finished my current one)...

Heifer Sat 16-Feb-08 08:32:46

Oh thanks for the cake Mamag, very tasty..

TheMaskedPoster Sat 16-Feb-08 08:34:59

cake heifer??!??!?! YUM!

Heifer Sat 16-Feb-08 10:25:44

not really unfortunately! MamaG only drew a picture of a cake.. sad

But am ever hopeful that someone will send me one before my 40th birthday!...!...!...!

TheMaskedPoster Sat 16-Feb-08 11:19:16

<<bakes cake and puts in post...>>

Heifer Mon 21-Apr-08 16:31:51

I have to admit to not enjoying this book very much (sorry)...

I found it hard to get into. And keep reading a little then putting it down and not picking it up for ages..

The subject matter was very interesting, but I felt the author lacked enough detail for me to get into. I wanted to be there and feel it but just couldn't..

I think that problem was that the diary part was written when she was 17 and hadn't been added to as such. Therefore lacked feeling.

I would be very interested to read someone elses account of the events but someone who doesn't make it out to be round after round of jolly entertainment and concerts.

I have to admit that I didn't finish it as I needed to pass it on.. (and I was already veyr late).

spamm Wed 07-May-08 23:11:52

OK - have just finished this and I have to agree with Heifer. I was very much looking forward to it, as I have visited most of the places she discusses.

But I did not feel that she used the diary format well. I sometimes felt like I was simply reading a long list of activities without any insight into how a 17 year old survives such an ordeal. It is only when she talks about M that you start to get some feeling through her words. I think I was hoping for something akin to Anne Frank's diary, but this is very different. I do understand the reasons why she wrote in that style, but it did not work for me.

However, I did learn a lot of historical detail from this, which is always good. Yet another benefit of the Quiche Book Swap. grin

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 22-Jun-08 17:19:40

Sorry but I really couldn't get into this book. And as I'm already late to send it on, I haven't really persevered.

I found her style irritating beyond belief. I know it was written when she was 17, but I think some of her stylistic stuff, such as the use of exclamation marks all over the place, was just poor writing.

jezzemx Thu 31-Jul-08 22:58:14

I agree with the others on this one. I did eventually finish this book but it did take a while as it just didn't grip unlike other books of the same genre that I have read in the past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now