Talk

Advanced search

Winter book swap

(84 Posts)
AwesomeBadger Wed 14-Nov-18 14:18:46

Hello,

Would anyone be interested in forming a new book swap group for those long winter nights? Let me know!

yaela123 Wed 14-Nov-18 16:11:32

You may want to post a thread in another bookish topic like What We're Reading (if you haven't already) because I think most people here are already in a swap. I may be proved wrong though...

AwesomeBadger Wed 14-Nov-18 16:26:00

Hi yaela, I have already done but thank you!

AllGoodDogs Wed 14-Nov-18 20:26:18

Hello! I would like to join in please 😊 not been in a swap before but read the first few posts of the summer thread so I know what to do!

AwesomeBadger Thu 15-Nov-18 08:30:45

Hi AllGoodDogs,

That’s great, just need a few more people to get started.

Any particular book genres you are keen to avoid?

AllGoodDogs Thu 15-Nov-18 16:11:58

No I don't think so... I've read a bit of everything over the years.

Is there a page limit?! Always a worry I won't finish if I'm on a time restraint 😂

AwesomeBadger Thu 15-Nov-18 19:06:03

I don’t think there’s usually a page limit but obviously we need to be sensible about length so probably not Don Quixote etc. Are you happy to do one book per month?

AllGoodDogs Thu 15-Nov-18 19:29:15

Yes fine by me 😊

AwesomeBadger Thu 15-Nov-18 21:25:21

Great. Hopefully some more people will join up soon

clairethewitch70 Tue 20-Nov-18 17:49:45

Me please, I would love to join. I am in the summer swap and it is awesome getting the chance to read books I would normally walk past.

BitchyChuckle Tue 20-Nov-18 17:51:04

Me! Read anything

Etihad Wed 21-Nov-18 12:28:33

Yes please I would like to join

AwesomeBadger Wed 21-Nov-18 23:44:45

Great! That makes 5 of us. Would you like to start in December or leave it until the New Year?

BitchyChuckle Thu 22-Nov-18 07:45:33

I don’t mind - but prob best to start now as it’ll most likely fall by the wayside in the new year grin

ShannonRockallMalin Thu 22-Nov-18 07:48:01

I’d be interested - how does it work?

clairethewitch70 Thu 22-Nov-18 14:07:49

I am ready to start whenever.

AwesomeBadger Thu 22-Nov-18 17:57:03

Great! Shannon, essentially you pick a book you liked or would like to discuss and send it on to another member of the group. You will also receive a book. Once you have read the book you then send it on to the same person you sent your book to. We send books once a month (with a specific deadline) and so it goes in a circle until you eventually receive your own book back.

We create threads for each book and once you have read a particular book you post your thoughts / points you want to discuss there.

Often groups also agree to send chocolate with the books each month so we can do this too if the consensus is that everyone would like to.

Any more questions then just shout.

If everyone can please PM me your addresses and initials of your book title so I can ensure there are no overlaps that would be great.

ShannonRockallMalin Thu 22-Nov-18 18:45:10

Sounds good! And yes to chocolate! I read a lot of non fiction - is everyone else ok with a non fiction book? Won’t be too dry or heavy going, I promise!

AllGoodDogs Thu 22-Nov-18 18:48:44

Oh no I need to pick a book!! How do I choose just one?!!

AllGoodDogs Thu 22-Nov-18 18:50:57

Should it be something not topseller ish, as the idea is that people won't have read it already?

clairethewitch70 Thu 22-Nov-18 20:15:50

When are we starting, yes to the chocolate and are there any restrictions on genre of books?

AwesomeBadger Fri 23-Nov-18 00:19:43

I have no problem with non fiction, or anything else really! Yes probably best to avoid recent top sellers but equally if it’s something you really want to discuss then I don’t see why not. Also happy to include all genres although if there is anything people are keen to avoid then let us know

If you can all send me addresses and book titles in the next few days then hopefully we could do our first post by 8th December.

Any preferences regarding chocolate budget? Also, if you have any dietary requirements then please let us know

BitchyChuckle Fri 23-Nov-18 14:47:43

Excellent I’ll just go and choose one now <excited>

AwesomeBadger Sat 24-Nov-18 14:33:12

Great. Very excited!

AwesomeBadger Wed 28-Nov-18 18:18:27

Hi everyone.

I have been sent details now by
ShannonRockallMalin
Clairethewitch70
BitchyChuckle

If others who have commented earlier still want to join, please send over your details no later than 5th December to enable us to do our first send out on the 8th.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: