Talk

Advanced search

Death by Choc-Lit (Summer 2018): Book 7

(10 Posts)
KeithLeMonde Sun 01-Jul-18 18:30:04

Discussion thread for group 2, book 7

clairethewitch70 Tue 03-Jul-18 18:36:15

This one is mine. I really enjoyed this book. Thought provoking and very well written.

MyGastIsFlabbered Wed 04-Jul-18 19:37:02

I think this is the one I've just been delivered. EIM by EH?

clairethewitch70 Wed 04-Jul-18 20:50:45

Thats the one @MyGastIsFlabbered. It is very good. Hope you enjoy it.

MyGastIsFlabbered Sun 08-Jul-18 15:15:22

Phew just finished it. I enjoyed it but found it hard going at times not because it was boring but because of the description of the dementia was frustrating/scary etc does that make sense?

Chewbecca Sat 15-Sep-18 15:52:43

Hi all, just finished this book today.

I was aware of this book as I think it was pretty popular a couple of years ago but I didn't read it then.

I thought it was a good book, quite short, few characters so was easy to get to know them quickly. I liked the writing style, even though I often feel irritated by time switching, I quite like the way this book slipped from one period to another, it felt natural. The book wrapped up well at the end too so I felt a satisfying sense of closure.

One thing I kept wondering about was 'is this what dementia feels like?', does anyone actually know?

I'd score it 8.5/10.

FreshEyre Mon 15-Oct-18 00:02:50

Just finished this one.

One thing I kept wondering about was 'is this what dementia feels like?', does anyone actually know?

This is exactly what I kept wondering. I found it strangely unsettling always wondering if this is what dementia feels like and, to be honest, I had to keep putting the book down as some of the descriptions were so close to what a family member has recently been through. It did make me think about how I would be as the daughter/carer - could I be patient and understanding or would I be frustrated, tired and abrupt?

It's a well written book and the characters were believable. I'd give it 8/10. Thank you for choosing it.

Etihad Wed 21-Nov-18 12:24:36

Thanks for putting this book in the swap. It’s been in my amazon wish list for ages. It was very interesting and gives a brilliant insight into living with memory loss. I found I was more interested in the current day story than the past (which was a bit drawn out and boring in the middle) but it was very clever how the two parts merged together and well written.

yaela123 Sat 24-Nov-18 23:01:13

I've just received this book - I actually picked it up in a second-hand shop a while ago but it is still sitting on my shelf unread. Looking forward to it

yaela123 Sun 23-Dec-18 19:50:35

I've just finished this book and really liked it. I agree with a lot of what everyone else has said, finding it frustrating and insightful. It was very well written and the characters seemed very real. I think it especially portrayed Helen and Elizabeth's relationship well. Like Etihad, I did prefer the parts set in the modern day, but thought the jumping between times worked well. Thank you for putting it in the swap - it is definitely one I will be recommending to others.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: