Talk

Advanced search

Gin and Tolstoy (Summer 2018): Book 7

(10 Posts)
KeithLeMonde Sun 01-Jul-18 17:36:29

Discussion thread for group 1, book 7

iloveredwine Mon 02-Jul-18 10:02:39

I chose this book as it was one I really enjoyed in an other book group. There is lots of characters that I found it very easy to love or hate and could imagine what it was like to live in the houses described. I hope you enjoy it!

tobee Fri 28-Sep-18 17:38:22

I'd already read this before. I really enjoyed as a page turning read. It had an interesting panoply of characters, the author drew them very vividly. The location was also a clever idea.

I found the residents and their relationships recognisable or believable.

So overall, a pleasing mix of character and plot, both being strong. And exploration of childhood turning into the beginnings of adulthood.

KeithLeMonde Thu 04-Oct-18 11:36:19

Just received this and read it in about 36 hours smile I've read a few Lisa Jewells before and always find her story-telling very gripping. And I agree with Tobee, she's good at characters - they were clearly drawn and believable.

Also, I've read so many awful psychological thrillers recently where the person with a mental illness turns out to be the "baddy". It was refreshing to have a different - more humane and more realistic - take.

Heismyopendoor Fri 19-Oct-18 19:19:30

I really enjoyed this book, didn’t realise there were threads to give feedback on! 😂 or rather I knew they were a thing but couldn’t find them!!

As I said, I really enjoyed it! I read it very quickly as couldn’t put it down! All of the characters were interesting and it certainly wasn’t the ending I was expecting!

Badtasteflump Thu 15-Nov-18 10:14:05

This has been my favourite book so far! I read it over the weekend I received it as I couldn't put it down, it was a really addictive read.

I loved the characters and the setting - everything is described so vividly I could clearly picture every person and where they were. I also found the general feel of the book quite sentimental and made me reflect on aspects of my own childhood, in a good way.

I also enjoyed the ending, which I didn't see coming until towards the end, which is always a plus.

I will definitely be trying some more Lisa Jewell books after this.

diamantegal Sat 08-Dec-18 21:23:54

A very quick read for me as well. I thought it was a book that drew you in - you're never quite sure if people are who they say they are and you're left wanting to learn more about them.

I found it very easy to read but engaging at the same time - good choice iloveredwine!

Fizzywinegum Tue 05-Mar-19 10:58:17

I really enjoyed this book - I read it quickly (probably helped by being on holiday smile). I found the story interesting and the characters engaging.

I don’t think I’ve read any Lisa Jewell since “Ralph’s Party” years ago. I can sometimes be a bit sniffy about “chick lit” but this book has made me realise that it can be good when it is well written and the characters and storyline aren’t made into cliches. I will definitely look out for some more Lisa Jewell books.

Thank you for choosing it @iloveredwine - do you want the book back?

iloveredwine Tue 05-Mar-19 11:29:32

Glad you all seemed to enjoy this one. no please pass it on to someone or charity shop 😁

Fizzywinegum Tue 05-Mar-19 14:00:04

Thank you iloveredwine - I’ll pass it on grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: