Talk

Advanced search

Gin and Tolstoy (Summer 2018): Book 7

(7 Posts)
KeithLeMonde Sun 01-Jul-18 17:36:29

Discussion thread for group 1, book 7

iloveredwine Mon 02-Jul-18 10:02:39

I chose this book as it was one I really enjoyed in an other book group. There is lots of characters that I found it very easy to love or hate and could imagine what it was like to live in the houses described. I hope you enjoy it!

tobee Fri 28-Sep-18 17:38:22

I'd already read this before. I really enjoyed as a page turning read. It had an interesting panoply of characters, the author drew them very vividly. The location was also a clever idea.

I found the residents and their relationships recognisable or believable.

So overall, a pleasing mix of character and plot, both being strong. And exploration of childhood turning into the beginnings of adulthood.

KeithLeMonde Thu 04-Oct-18 11:36:19

Just received this and read it in about 36 hours smile I've read a few Lisa Jewells before and always find her story-telling very gripping. And I agree with Tobee, she's good at characters - they were clearly drawn and believable.

Also, I've read so many awful psychological thrillers recently where the person with a mental illness turns out to be the "baddy". It was refreshing to have a different - more humane and more realistic - take.

Heismyopendoor Fri 19-Oct-18 19:19:30

I really enjoyed this book, didn’t realise there were threads to give feedback on! 😂 or rather I knew they were a thing but couldn’t find them!!

As I said, I really enjoyed it! I read it very quickly as couldn’t put it down! All of the characters were interesting and it certainly wasn’t the ending I was expecting!

Badtasteflump Thu 15-Nov-18 10:14:05

This has been my favourite book so far! I read it over the weekend I received it as I couldn't put it down, it was a really addictive read.

I loved the characters and the setting - everything is described so vividly I could clearly picture every person and where they were. I also found the general feel of the book quite sentimental and made me reflect on aspects of my own childhood, in a good way.

I also enjoyed the ending, which I didn't see coming until towards the end, which is always a plus.

I will definitely be trying some more Lisa Jewell books after this.

diamantegal Sat 08-Dec-18 21:23:54

A very quick read for me as well. I thought it was a book that drew you in - you're never quite sure if people are who they say they are and you're left wanting to learn more about them.

I found it very easy to read but engaging at the same time - good choice iloveredwine!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: