Talk

Advanced search

Gin and Tolstoy (Summer 2018): Book 5

(6 Posts)
KeithLeMonde Sun 01-Jul-18 17:33:07

Discussion thread for group 1, book 5

RosehipHoney Sun 08-Jul-18 18:32:29

I picked this partly because of association to the lovely holiday cottage where I found and read it, and partly because of the sense of honour, consideration and innate, well, politeness of the characters. I found it soothing and reassuring and filled with tenderness.

Fizzywinegum Mon 09-Jul-18 07:39:47

Hello Rose I got your book thank you. I’ve brought it away on holiday with me to read. It’s nice to hear that you also associate the book with a holiday.

It’s probably not the sort of book that I would have chosen myself but looking forward to trying something different.

I like the idea of it being soothing and reassuring smile

Fizzywinegum Tue 24-Jul-18 15:06:28

I read this book on holiday and wanted to like it more than I did. I found most of the characters were written as cliches and there were too many things going on in the plot that distracted from the main story.

However, I did like Mrs Ali’s character and I did enjoy her developing relationship with the major. The ending was also nice and heartwarming.

I don’t want to appear negative and I’m sure that other people will enjoy the book.

iloveredwine Fri 27-Jul-18 13:39:25

Just started reading this book. I had never heard of this one so will be interesting.

iloveredwine Sat 11-Aug-18 09:56:30

I've finally finished this book. it is one that I would never have picked. It is not a book I would choose to read again. I felt it was a nice gentle story but I kept putting it down to read something I enjoyed more.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: