(6 Posts)
KeithLeMonde Sun 01-Jul-18 17:32:16

Discussion thread for group 1, book 4

KeithLeMonde Sun 01-Jul-18 17:33:53

Tolstoy! Tolstoy dammit!

Fingers just automatically type "story" somehow

diamantegal Mon 02-Jul-18 18:16:36

I think this is mine!

So, I chose this one because I'm hoping it's a book lots of people will have heard of, but never actually read. It's a classic of its genre, and while that genre may not be too everyone's taste, I hope people will still find it interesting to read.

One request - bear with it! It can be slow and a bit detailed at times, but I think that's because we're used to much more modern versions of this kind of story, which just move at a much greater pace, but without some of the slow build which is a big part of why I enjoy this book.

Enjoy!

diamantegal Tue 03-Jul-18 23:32:11

Dammit, just re-read my post and spotted the typo. It may not be TO everyone's taste. I blame autocorrect!

RosehipHoney Tue 07-Aug-18 21:55:42

Belatedly posting my thoughts...
I did sink a little when I saw the book, as just didn't really fancy it, though had never read, but heard of it. However...once I started I loved it. Detective Lebel is perfect, and actually, I really enjoyed reading something set in the sixties, with phone boxes and telegrams and immensely clever plotting. I read a lot of modern crime fiction, and this stood out as excellent. I did skim read some pages of very detailed car engine/gun adapting technical detail, but otherwise star

diamantegal Sat 11-Aug-18 22:35:08

Phew! I did worry that it wouldn't be something people would want to read, but thanks for persevering. Fingers crossed the next person agrees!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: